Chapter Thirty Eight - Known Strangers

Start from the beginning

She guides me into the living room where Aurora is sitting on a play matt on the floor. Toys completely surrounding her. I reach down to pick her up and give her a big cuddle, she giggles into my shoulder.

"Oh my, haven't you got so big?" I say. Her big blue eyes just watch me. Her little fingers take a fist full of my hair.

"Who's that Rory?" Ava grins at her over my shoulder.

Aurora gives me a big cheesy grin. "That's Kayleigh," Ava points at me.

I grip one of her little hands, her fingers latching onto me.

"Kayleigh," I repeat again.

"Kay-eee," she giggles.

Ava gasps at her. "Well done you little clever clogs." She says as she steps forward to begin to tickle her in my arms.

She squirms and her little laugh is so infectious that it warms my heart. I place her back down onto the floor and she happily plays with her toys. Occasionally talking to herself which I found so adorable. Ava and I then sit together on one of the couches.

"So how have you been?" She beams at me. "Tell me everything."

So I do, I tell her everything that's happened in my life since I last saw her which was about seven months ago. Ava listens quietly and patiently. She seems so genuinely happy for me. Then she tells me all about what she's been up to and how things with Jaxon and Aurora have been.

"I don't want to bring him up if you don't really want to speak about him but does Kayden know you're here?" She questions as she shifts against the couch pillows.

I shake my head towards her. "No he doesn't,"

Ava purses her lips then clears her throat. "He wasn't good you know Kay?" Her eyebrows dip.

"What do you mean?"

"After you guys broke up, he wasn't okay. I mean I still don't think he is, he's just kept himself to himself." Ava explains.

I find myself frowning. "He hasn't been trying to find someone else, he hasn't spoke to his mate. Hell, he hasn't even looked at another girl!" Ava exclaims as she throws one hand in the air.

"He's obviously looked at another girl," I as a defence mechanism, the thought of him not moving on haunting me.

Ava hits me right in the chest. "Ow!" I strain out.

Her eyes widen at me. "Be serious, Kayleigh. I know you've taken this time to get yourself together but I don't know how he's going to take seeing you."

"Why?" My hands begin to fidget in my lap.

"I think he gave up hope," Ava's eyes go soft. My heart hammers in my chest. "But he refuses to find anyone else."

I can't even comprehend how much my heart is aching right now. "You being here is going to be a big shock to his system," Ava tells me.

I gulp silently. "I'm sure it'll be okay," I say with as much optimism in my voice as possible.

"I hope so," Ava half smiles at me. "Now you best help me set up these decorations. I've sent Jax out to go get some orange juice so I could do this in peace."

I smile at her words. "Sure thing," I say as I stand up from the sofa and help Ava.

Once Ava and I had finally set up the decorations, Ava went to change Aurora into her birthday dress. I offered to help set up the kitchen with drinks and snacks to pass the time.