29. the heartbreaker and the new beginning

I'm so going to regret this for the rest of my life.

With a deep breathe in and out, I finally ring the doorbell.

I wait impatiently for the door to open. My heart is pounding so loud.

What am I doing here? Am I doing the right thing? Should I just leave right now and pretend this never happened?

The door finally opens.

It's too late to change my mind now. I have to go through with this.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Her tone clearly indicates I'm not welcomed here.

I look at her, hesitating. "I'll take your offer."

Her brows furrow in confusion.

"$10,000 to get out of Kaden's life forever," I clarify. "I'll take it."

Her pursed lip turn into a satisfying smirk. "How do I know you're not lying?" She asks.

"You don't." I tell her. "I guess you're just gonna have to trust me." I'm risking it all just being here. It's all or nothing.

She looks at me sternly for a minute before giving in. "$10,000 to get out of Kaden's life forever."

She walks back inside her house, leaving the door wide open. I stand still, waiting for her.

After a few minutes, she comes back with a check in her hand. She hands it to me. I grab it but she tighten her hold on the other end.

"If you don't follow through with our deal, I'll make sure you pay back more than what you put Kaden through." She threaten me before letting go of the check.

I bring the check to my side, holding it tight.

I look at her one last time. "I really hope you'll become the mother Kaden deserves."

I walk out of her front porch and out of her driveway, never looking back.

This is what you have to do, I keep telling myself.

I pull out my phone and the detective's card. I quickly dial his number into my phone and call him.

He answers after the second ring.

"Hi, this is Casey Smith. I'll testify. I'll do whatever you need me to do. I just want to put him away for good. You have to promise me he'll never see the light of day again." I tell him over the phone.

"Yes, of course. Thank you so much." He tells me. I can hear the excitement in his voice.

"But I want something in return," I tell him. "I want to start new. I want a new name. A new identity. A new clean slate."

It's time we both let each other go for the better even if it's hard to do. Some part of me will always love you for the rest of my life. But our hopeless love have to stop now. Whatever happens, just remember you're doing this for you. For Kaden. For your new beginning.

***
A/N
Only one more chapter left. What do you think is going to happen?
Thank you so much for all your support on this story.