17. the heartbreaker and the kiss

"Have a great rest of your night," Travis waves goodbye.

"Thank you. You too," I tell him before walking out the door.

The cool night breeze hits me as soon as I step out. I walk further down the sidewalk and stand right under the lamp post. Kaden told me he'll pick me up so where the hell is he?

I take out my phone and check if he sent me any messages. Nothing at all.

He's probably just running late. I cross my arms to keep me warm and look around to see if I can see his car coming soon.

A car appears from around the corner and slowly makes it's way towards me. I watch as it stops right in front of me and realize that it's not Kaden's car.

I slowly back away from the car, but stop in my track when the backseat window rolls down to reveal Mrs. Pierce.

How did she know I would be here?

"Get in. I want to talk to you," she order. I look around, hoping Kaden will appear and save me from having a conversation with his mother but it's only wishful thinking.

"I don't have time to wait around," she complain. I could just make a run for it but it'll make her hate me even more, so with a deep breath, I reluctantly walk around the car and get in through the other door.

Once I'm seated, the driver drives off with a nod from Mrs. Pierce.

I sit quietly through the car ride, pondering over what she wanted to talk about.

After about 5 minutes, we arrive at a coffee place. The driver parks the car right in front of the entrance and gets out to open Mrs. Pierce's door. I, on the other hand, used my own two hands and open the door for myself.

Mrs. Pierce walks into the coffee shop and I follow after her. She sits down at an empty table in the corner of the place. I quietly sit down across from her, not daring to stare straight at her face.

She hasn't said a word to me after I got in the car. What does she want to talk about? There's about a million things I could think of and it's killing me.

Just when I think she's about to speak, a waiter appears. "What can I get you?" He asks, holding on to a notepad and pen.

"I'll like a cup of espresso." Mrs. Pierce tell him before looking at me to order.

"I'm good. Thank you." I tell him.

"Okay. A cup of espresso coming right up." He said with a smile before leaving.

I look at Mrs. Pierce, impatiently waiting for her to finally talk.

"I know everything about you, Casey Smith," She begins and I brace myself for what's to come.

"Your mom left when you were little so your father raised you up. But he wasn't much of a big help, was he? He's a drunk and a gambler. I understand why you leeched onto Kaden now. He's rich and handsome." I stare at her, startled that she knows this much about me. Where is she going with this?

"Here you go," the waiter comes back with a cup of espresso for Mrs. Pierce. "Enjoy," He said before leaving.

Mrs. Pierce take a sip out of the cup before continuing, "How about I make you a better offer. $10,000 in exchange for you to get out of Kaden's life forever. You'll never be good enough for my son."

I'm completely speechless and terrified.

Who does she think she is? Yes, I do need money. But I'm not that low. I can't do this to Kaden. It seems that his mom has won too many times. Well, I'm going to help Kaden win.