Chapter 1

"Rachel," I faintly heard the sound of someone calling out my name.

"Rachel!" I groggily flipped over to the other side of my bed and pulled my blanket over my body to block out the noise.

"Rachel, wake up!" Mom yelled once again, tugging the blanket away from me in a final attempt to wake me up.

"I'm up," I huffed as I shifted my body into a sitting position, rubbing my eyes repeatedly. I glanced at my digital clock that read 10:30 a.m then finally looked at my fuming mother.

"Why in the world are you still in bed? You should be at school by now!" she scolded.

"Chill mom, one day won't hurt," I shrugged as I pushed the covers off of me and walked over to the vanity, picking up my hairbrush and running it through my tangled light-brown hair.

My mom stood behind me and looked at our reflection in the mirror, "Rachel, this isn't the first time you've done something like this. You're either late to class or skipping altogether or picking fights with your classmates. You need to stop this behavior," she sighed, "it's only a matter of time before the principal decides enough is enough."

"I'll go get dressed and apologize to Principal Brady for being late, " I said, huskily, as I slouched my shoulders and walked to my closet, grabbing my school uniform along with some underwear. I curled my clothes into a ball, exited my room and walked to the bathroom at the end of the hallway.

I decided a quick escape was necessary. I've had this conversation before and it never ended well when I argued back, so I just told my mom what she wanted to hear and left the room to avoid saying something I regretted. The truth was I hated my school; I barely had any friends because I always felt out of place. I shook the self-pitying thoughts out of my head. It was too early to be this sad.

I took a quick shower, got dressed, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and blow dried my hair. After giving myself an approving look in the mirror, I bid my mother farewell and ran down the stairs to my bike in the front lawn. I quickly hopped on and placed my backpack on my lap.

I pedaled as quickly as I could when I ran over a rock with my bike that tripped me over, causing my body to jerk forward and off my bike head-first into what could've been the dirtiest looking pond in Mullingar.

I surfaced on the water as I moved my wet hair away from my face. I got out of the pond and wrung the muddy water out my shirt. I pondered the idea of returning home and getting changed, but I was already late for school, so I just squeezed the water out of my hair and pulled out a small mirror from my bag. I wiped away my smeared mascara and got onto my bike once again, crossing my fingers that I wouldn't get in trouble once I arrived.

-

I finally reached my school and no wonder, everybody was already in class by then. I stormed into my Biology class when all eyes turned to gawk at my ungracious entrance. All of my classmates soon started to whisper into each other's ears, sharing mocking looks and taunting laughs aimed at my appearance. I could feel my heart violently threatening to burst out of my chest. 

"Miss Simmons, care to explain?" Mr. Séamus glared at me, crossing his arms in anticipation.

"I'm really sorry, Mr. Séamus." I looked at him apologetically.

"Miss Simmons, I'm sorry but you know where to go," he signaled for me to get out of his class and I did as told before taking a turn and walking to Principal Brady's office.

Great, I thought, I'm screwed.

I knocked on the door and waited for him to grant me entrance.

"Come in," he called out from his office, and I timidly opened the door before he spared me one brief glance and hastily looked back down at the paperwork on his desk.