nine

tw: none
notes: god damn you yummuu I told you I have zero self control

previously:

     Logan visited every day, driving to Atlanta from Macon right after school.

     He had made it a routine. Leave school, drive, talk to Virgil for a few hours, then drive home.

He repeated the routine for 31 days.

/ - \

     It was the thirty-second day of Logan visiting Virgil in the Atlanta hospital.

"Hey Verge, it's Logan." The boy sounded broken. Logan hoped that he was important enough for Virgil to recognize his voice. He remembered reading somewhere that coma patients can usually hear, and that hearing a loved one's voice could help awaken the mind and hasten recovery.

The boy looked peaceful, his facial features relaxed. His eyes weren't squeezed shut, just closed as if he was blinking. It looked as if someone had taken a picture while he was sleeping. The only thing moving was the faint rise and fall of the boy's chest.

Logan figured this must have been the longest the boy had ever really slept.

"You were supposed to have been up by now." Logan felt like crying, so he did. They were alone. The nurses had learned not to unnecessarily interrupt if Logan was visiting. "I miss you, you know? I miss you so much. Wake up, please. I need you in my life. You know that night when I told you I overheard my mom? There were two things that I wanted to tell you, but I couldn't bring myself to tell you the second thing. I think I can now, though." Logan took a deep breath. "Virgil Sanders, I have liked you since the day that you helped me when I got beat up. It has lingered in my mind for so long. I'm ready to come out and say it now because I'd rather you have the chance of hearing me when I say it versus parting with the words. I love you, Virgil. I can't live without you. I don't want to live without you. I have fallen apart many times, but right now I don't think I'll be able to repair myself without you." Logan gulped. "I love you and I want to hold you and kiss you and calm you down when you get panicked and I want to try to make things better for you. Please wake up."

Logan was sobbing. He hated seeing the boy like this.

     "Please, Verge."

     Logan checked his phone.

     7:39

     Logan had to leave soon in order to be home.

     "I love you, Virgil. I'll be back tomorrow." Logan smiled sadly at the unconscious boy and turned. He took a moment to compose himself, wiping away his tears and steadying his breathing.

     He didn't look back, afraid he would start crying again. He didn't see the boy's fingers twitch. He didn't see the boy open his eyes, then close them and grimace. He was ready to go, to come back tomorrow. He was ready to cry again. He wasn't expecting the boy to wake up, not yet at least.