Chapter Twelve: And the Hell that Followed with them

The Hetleys

October 22nd, 1859

Outskirts of Little Springs, Missouri, United States of America

Josiah Walther sat on his horse feeling the thick Missouri air burning his lungs with every breath. It was midday, almost time to meet Slick Peterson and split the loot. He was still concerned that he had not heard from Horace Peat, he was hot-headed at times but Josiah had known him for longer than he cared to remember. They were pals. And he was worried about him. But the time for that had come and past, and now he needed to keep his focus on the game. Jack rides up next to him with a drink in hand,

"You ready to become rich men?" He asks holding the small metal flask out to Josiah.

Josiah waves away the drink, "Let's just get this over with." He says riding forward.

"Try not to be so excited," Jack says in a wry tone as he takes another swig.

As they continue in silence Jack continues to drink and eventually, with Josiah's sullen attitude edging into him, begins to sing to lighten the mood.

Jack throws his head back in the air and bellows out a verse, "I once knew a lady who was sweeter than apple candy."

He looks over to Josiah who continues to carry a downtrodden look on his face, Jack sings out another verse, "She kissed me just right and tickled my dandy."

Again, he looks to Josiah who still refuses to meet his gaze, "Just as happy in bed as she was in the alley." He belts out.

Again, nothing, he takes a drink and continues singing, "Well the fellas they called her a back alley sally. She took all my money and left me broken and somber. And that is why I now sing this song for..."

Jack is interrupted by Josiah, "Enough goddamn it!"

"Alright, Jesus Josiah, you'd think you were heading to a burial."

"Ain't you the least bit concerned about Horace? We ain't seen him in near three weeks, we might be marching into a death trap right now if the law is waiting for us and he may be dead already."

With that Jack pauses taking his drink and a more serious look overtakes his expression, he downs the rest of his flask and returns it to his pocket. He straightens up in his saddle and regains his focus. Josiah was right, they didn't know what was waiting for them, Horace was what Jack liked to call a wild card. There truly was no saying what had happened after he left that night. Jack's thoughts became wearier and they carried on in silence as they approached the town. They waited some thirty yards away as they gazed upon the folk going about their daily lives.

"I don't see the law," Josiah says after a moment.

"Me neither," Jack replies, and with that, they ride into town and head to Slick's hut.

They stand at the outside of the door and listen, nothing, no signs of life whatsoever. It didn't feel right, they each had a growing pit at the center of their stomach. Jack knocks on the door and it swings open letting off a low creaking noise. A fowl smell greets them at the door and they step into a ghastly sight. Slick's body sits still at the table with a fresh hole in his forehead and his throat slit completely open. Jack rushes up to the table and looks to the floor to see two one hundred dollar bills sitting at the base of his chair. He picks up the blood-soaked bills and holds them up to Josiah,

"He's taking off with all our goddamn money!" Jack yells as he runs outside.

Josiah staggers a look at Slick's cold body and then rushes out to meet Jack outside, who is already on horseback.