Chapter 13: Revelations

Start from the beginning

A note scorched into the wall couldn't be that impossible. Her grandmother getting kidnapped couldn't  be that impossible. And it could be her fault.She couldn’t make any assumptions, anymore. No matter how comforting.

There it was. It was in curling writing, beautiful and small. As if it were written on a small note.

Kian,

Insurance. If you ever decide to mess with me again. Your little girlfriend’s grandmother is toast.

And I don’t think you want that one your conscience, do you?

Give my regards to the Fair One.

Yours always.

“Rhiannon, it’s not what it looks like.” Kian began. Rhiannon couldn't look at him. She couldn't believe she'd thought she could trust him. She stared at his name scorched into the wall.

Rhiannon felt her phone vibrate she pulled it out quickly desperate to see who it was. It was gran's number.

Hey Rhiannon, come and get her. Kian knows where to find me.

xo.

She grit her teeth.

“Really, Kian? Then what does it look like? Because to me, it looks like you’ve got a whole lot of explaining to do and you owe it to me to tell me. Actually –“ Rhiannon spun to Devlin.

“I wish that my grandmother was brought back, safe and sound, right here in front of me.” She said desperately. She had a genie for a reason. This must've been it.

Devlin shook his head sadly. “My power doesn’t work outside of the mortal realm.”

“What do you mean ‘outside the mortal realm’?” Rhiannon exclaimed exasperated by how much she didn’t know. But by God she was going to find out.

“It means his powers won’t work in Fey or anywhere else in the Underworld for that matter.” Kian explained, placing a hand on her shoulder to calm her. She could feel the strange tendrils digging into her mind, but all it did was disgust her. She pushed at it.

Rhiannon shrugged off his touch. She didn’t want to be comforted.

She wanted answers and quickly.

“I think this will be easier if we were at your house.” Kian touched her hand with an apologetic smile.

The familiar scent of oatmeal surrounded her, light filtered in from the windows. Her kitchen table was so familiar she could picture gran at it, all ruffled and sleepy-eyed. She felt determination fill her, strenghthening her. She had to find her and save her, no matter who she had to crush.

It was surprising to see sunlight after all the things that had happened, something so ordinary. She turned to Kian.

“Sit and explain.” Rhiannon ordered. She pushed him into the sofa seat, and straddled a chair. She was tired of her own ignorance. She wanted to know everything. She was not taking no for an answer.

“I think –“

“No, Kian. Devlin, get your tush here now.” Devlin materialised behind her, she could sense his power and it comforted her a little. He was all that was keeping her from collapsing. She could feel his strength seeping into her, she needed it.

“Yes, my lady?”

“Grovelling like a dog as always, Fair One. Do you think that even your magic could keep me here if I did not want to be?” Kian growled, struggling against invisible restraints. Rhiannon silently thanked Devlin, at least this way there was no way Kian could escape. She felt a part of her sympathize for Kian but she couldn't give into it.

Not right now. Not after everything.

Rhiannon glared at Kian. “You will not talk to Devlin like that or this will end very unpleasantly, understand me?”

Kian moved his head to the side, Rhiannon took it as assent. He looked at her intensely,  his eyes burning deeply. She realised they burned with a strange blue fire, they were dangerous.

A predator's eyes.

“Devlin, I wish that Kian will answer all my questions in great detail, without the need for force.” Rhiannon watched Kian, there was no significant change. No glitter falling from the sky. She had to look to Devlin to see if he’d done anything.

“It is done, my lady. However, demons are slippery beasts. Be careful. I suggest you find out his true name, so you may control him.” Devlin sounded so formal and cold, she didn’t realise how much warmth he showed her until that moment.

She shuddered.

“What is your real name?”

“Kian Hunter.” Kian answered smugly, even trapped and under interrogation he was handsome. Rhiannon didn’t want to think about him like that, he was hiding something and she was going to find out what.

“Are you sure my wished worked?” Rhiannon asked, glancing up at Devlin.

Devlin nodded. “You have to be more careful in your phrasing. The truth can be a twisted thing, especially, in the hands of an experienced liar.”

“What is your true name?”

”Dominate Cacciatoro. Is that what you wanted? Are you happy?” He barked defiantly. There was a rumble that accompanied the words, like they were ancient and powerful. It was beautiful and brutal in the same instant.

“Tell me, which of your friends took Viviane?”

“She is not my friend.” Kian growled.

“Dominate, answer me.”

“Her name is Morrighan. She’s an assassin, the Queen of Shadows. And she is not my friend.” Kian spat out. Blood trickled down from the corner of his mouth. Rhiannon almost jumped, as the scarlet liquid ran down his chin. She immediately looked to Devlin.

“Why is he bleeding?”

“You used his true name, forced him to answer a question. It was painful to him.” Devlin shrugged, in a ‘that’s-how-it-is’ gesture. Rhiannon glared at him, glancing worriedly at Kian.

“Why didn’t you tell me it would hurt him?” She hissed.

“You didn’t ask.”

There was obviously something between Devlin and Kian, but she would cross that bridge when she needed to. She didn’t know how she felt about him at the moment, but she didn’t want Kian to be in pain. She turned back to Kian, her eyes softer.

“Why did she take my grandma? What does she want from you, Kian?”

“Take my restraints off Rhiannon. This is a long story and I’d prefer to be comfortable.” Kian asked, his eyes begging her to trust him. She couldn’t believe she was falling for it.

“Release him.”

“He’ll escape –“ Devlin spluttered.

“Just do it.”

Kian relaxed into the seat, breathing deeply. He moved his hands experimentally, surveying his surroundings.

“Thank you. What do you want to know?” Kian whispered.

“Everything.”