Chapter 55: Uncle's Teachings (2)

"What brings uncles here today? Do you have something important to tell me?" Ye Li invited Xu Hong Yu to sit down and asked him while she was pouring the tea.

Xu Hong Yu looked her up and down and laughed: "You look good. So you are not affected by the rumor, I suppose."

Ye Li served him a cup of tea with respect. Then she sat down and laughed a little awkwardly: "I still need to carry on with my life even though there's a rumor out there. Besides, the current situation is way better than what I expected."

Xu Hong Yu looked at her sternly and said: "Then, what will you do if it is worse than what you expected? It was indeed very lucky for you to escape unscathed last night. But if something bad did happen... Li-er, have you ever thought about that?"

Ye Li looked at the clear tea in silence, nodded and said: "Uncle, I feel sorry that I worried you so much. But... whatever happens, I will keep on with my life. That doesn't mean I am afraid of death, but I will definitely carry on with my life if only there's hope. At least, I will never die for a sheer rumor." Speaking of that, Ye Li couldn't help biting her lips. Though Great Chu was relatively liberal-minded, the chastity of women was way more important than their lives. Ye Li didn't know if her uncle could accept what she said, but that was her sincere words. She, Ye Li, would never in a million years give up her life for someone else's mistake.

"Good. That sounds more like a daughter of Xu Family." After a while, Xu Hong Yu put down the tea cup and said coolly.

Ye Li was stunned for a moment and raised her head in an instant to look at her first uncle. There were a few traces of sorrow in the way that Xu Hong Yu looked at Ye Li, "Though the sons of our family always follow the way of scholars and minister, but they have always been tough enough. No matter what difficulty is ahead of us wouldn't be enough for us to give up what belongs to us. Though... the daughters of our family are more intelligent, they tend to be more vulnerable than average women. Like your mother... If she had half of what you have now, things wouldn't go down to what they are."

"Uncle..." Every time he mentions mother, he would always be in so much grief. Ye Li recalled her beautiful yet frail mother, and she couldn't help sighing. Her mother was too well protected by Xu Family when she was young so she couldn't accept the reality after her wedding, thus she could only wither day by day in the confinement of Ye Manor.

Xu Hong Yu waved his hands, "Prince Ding is a great man, that's what I think even now. But he wouldn't be a good choice as a husband from any aspect. Li-er, do you know why Xu Family didn't object to this marriage?"

Looking at first uncle's gentle yet solemn looks, Ye Li hesitated, then said: "That we could only obey the Emperor's orders, right?"

"That was one of the reasons." Xu Hong Yu said, "But if Xu Family really didn't want that, there's always a way out. Your grandpa still has his influences. If he comes to the capital and begs His Majesty to cancel the marriage, His Majesty wouldn't refuse him."

Ye Li was shocked and said hastily: "We mustn't do that! Grandpa is advanced in years and it takes him great difficulty to get away from the turmoil of the capital. I couldn't let him get back in the turmoil just for me." Everything else aside, this year Grandpa is already over seventy. I couldn't let him travel a long journey all the way to the capital.

A trace of relief passed Xu Hong Yu's face. He reached out his hand and patted Ye Li, "Grandpa knows you are a good filial kid."

Ye Li lowered her head and frowned with confusion: "I couldn't come up with another reason. Please tell me, uncle."