Chapter 19: Ding Guo Wang Fu Guests

w.a.n.g shi[1] had indeed very quickly sent over the clothes and head ornaments that she had prepared for Ye Li. Seeing the arrogant-looking yatou[2] and momo[3] who came to send over things, Ye Li didn't at all get angry. She only swept a cursory glance over the things on the table and looked at the women with a smile that was not like a smile as she casually instructed the yatou at her side by saying, "Qing Xia, receive the items."

Seeing this look of Ye Li's in playing it down and not paying it any attention like that, the yatou holding up the box of head ornaments was dissatisfied. Raising her chin as she shot a glance at Ye Li, "Third xiaojie[4] , this was what our furen[5] *specially* prepared for you."

Her quiet and indifferent but beautiful eyes blinked for a bit and with a smile on her face, Ye Li looked at her and said in a mild tone, "I know, is there anything else?"

That yatou was surprised for a moment. She was the favoured da yatou[6] at w.a.n.g shi's side; in this fu[7] , who wasn't courteous towards her? She didn't know what was the matter with this third xiaojie; the words she spoke were very polite, but when it entered the ears, it made the person find it particularly harsh-sounding. Remembering w.a.n.g shi's command, she once again mustered up the confidence to say, "Furen had instructed that on the day of the Hundred Flowers Event, third xiaojie has to wear these clothes and head ornaments newly made by furen so as to avoid people from thinking that the xiaojie of the Shangshu[8] fu doesn't even have new clothes."

"Has to?" Ye Li half-leaned against the back of the chair, her right hand languidly supporting her lower jaw as she indifferently looked at the yatou before her eyes who had a look of arrogance on her face. "You're called Cui Zhu?"

"Replying to third xiaojie, nubi[9] is indeed Cui Zhu." Not knowing why, the yatou named Cui Zhu suddenly felt as though her back felt somewhat cold. Seeing the young lady sitting languidly yet gracefully before her eyes, she was somewhat uneasy as she spoke.

"You are sure...furen told you that you must have me wear these clothes?" Ye Li indifferently asked.

Cui Zhu hesitated for a bit, but still answered resolutely, "Yes. This was specially prepared for third xiaojie by furen, could it be that third xiaojie wants to go against furen's painstaking effort?"

Ye Li looked at the yatou whose appearance was delicate and pretty and yet looked arrogant before her eyes and suddenly started laughing. Extending a luxuriously white finger to raise a sheet of clothing material amongst the clothes in a brocade box place on the table, she drawled, "This kind of stuff (can also mean 'trash')...would be better than wearing my former clothes?"

The clothing in the brocade box was indeed truly new clothes; furthermore, they were new clothes that used the famous and valuable Yun brocade to be made. However, that splendorous and majestic colouring and stiff style–if she were to really wear it when going out, one only feared that others would think that she wasn't going to take part in a gathering for the capital's well-bred young ladies, but that she was in a hurry to get married.

Could it be that w.a.n.g shi thought that due to her having never taken part in gatherings these past several years that she truly didn't understand anything? This kind of crimson (deep red) colour and complicated branch-wrapped pattern would only cause the host of the banquet Zhao Yang Chang gongzhu[10] to be displeased, as well as cause the capital's unmarried n.o.ble daughters to look down on her even more.

纏枝(花樣) – chanzhi (huayang) – a decorative branch-wrapped pattern often found on porcelain

"Third xiaojie! You...how could you dare......" Cui Zhu's eyes widened, as though she didn't expect that third xiaojie who had always been taciturn and wouldn't fight over things would actually speak out such daring words. The people who followed her also revealed expressions of shock and dissatisfaction one after the other.