Chapter 44: Concubine's Place

"Young Miss, Madam has come."

In the elegant Qing Yi Court, decorated for comfort, Ye Li held a needle in hand preparing to do some embroidery work; but then, Qing Xia came in to announce this.

Ye Li placed the embroidery tools down, looked up, and asked: "How is she so free as to come here?"

Since Ye Ying's wedding two days ago, Wang-shi was a busy mess. In the past two days, within the manor, there were rumors that the baby inside Concubine Zhao's stomach had conflicting destinies with Ye Ying and Ye Rong. The news spread and shook heaven and earth. Minister Ye hated he didn't have two heads. On one side was his daughter who became the Princess Consort Li and his only precious son. On the other side were his favored concubine and future son. What is important and what is not important, it is not as if Minister Ye did not know. It is just looking at Concubine Zhao's pitiful face, crying until the pear blossoms were drenched in rain, his heart was reluctant. Unfortunately, the day after Ye Ying's wedding, Ye Rong was inexplicably scared by a carriage on his way to school. So scared, he was bedridden for two days. Wang-shi made even more noise.

When Wang-shi entered, her face showed a rare kindness and peace, different than usual in front of Ye Li. It is a pity that Ye Li was not a bastard child of a concubine that needed to consider her complexion to live. Moreover, nor was she a small pitiful child that did not understand anything. So, she just got up and performed the perfunctory ceremony. "Fourth Younger Sister has returned, how is Madam so free as to come here?"

Wang-shi smiled amiably. She considered that she was being very harmonious and personable as she said, "Prince Ding's Manor has picked the time; in these next few days, they will deliver the bride price. Li-er's marriage is fast approaching; I have come to see if everything is prepared satisfactorily."

Ye Li invited Wang-shi to take a seat. She said, "There are Lin-mama and my wetnurse taking care of everything. Moreover, my aunt often visits to look things over. There is nothing wrong. Have troubled Madam."

The smile on Wang-shi's face stiffened. The words of Ye Li, passing through her ears, was simply implying that her, as a step-mother, was negligent. In fact, Ye Li did not have this idea because, in her heart, she did not think that Wang-shi had the obligation to care for her marriage. As long as Wang-shi didn't obstruct, that was fine.

"Actually... I have come today because there is something I wanted to discuss with Li-er." Wang-shi quickly regained her previous complexion and earnestly looked at Ye Li.

Ye Li's delicate brows raised slightly and she sent a puzzled look at Wang-shi.

Wang-shi sighed and said: "These past days, Li-er have probably heard of it. Is it not that I, the legitimate wife, cannot be tolerant, but it is Concubine Zhao's child that has conflicting destinies with the legitimate children of the Ye family. The previous day, I had deliberately sought out Daoist Priest Ling Xu from Shiuyun Temple; he said that in the past life, this child of Concubine Zhao has a grudge against our family. If he is born, he will be the scourge of our Ye family... You see... Since the news came of her pregnancy, things have not gone smoothly in our house. Yet, time after time, Master always protects her..."

Ye Li calmly listened to Wang-shi speak her dissatisfaction with Concubine Zhao and Minister Ye. Wang-shi deliberately pulled together Concubine Zhao's child and the legitimate children of the Ye family. If one talks about legitimate children, who could compare to Ye Li as the original legitimate child? If it was not that she did not believe in these sort of things, after seeing Ye Ying's unfortunate wedding, one is afraid that others might really want to pull the child out of Concubine Zhao.