Chapter 34: Confucian Scholar

The sons of the Xu family and the two elders from the Ye family, Minister Ye and Old Madam Ye, became closer under the leadership of the Xu family's eldest son, Xu Qing Chen. From a ceremonial greeting, the meeting turned into an intimate family gathering. Sitting off to the side, Wang-shi had wanted to interject several times but was unable to. The Xu family's Fifth Young Master implied, through his conduct, that he did not like to interact with concubines. That's right; in the eyes of the Xu family, Wang-shi was not the legitimate wife. Not to mention, there was bad blood between Wang-shi and the deceased Madam Xu. Furthermore, the Xu family didn't accept the practice of the concubine replacing the legitimate wife. Except for a few uncommon circumstances, the men of the Xu family did not even take concubines. If Wang-shi was virtuous and upstanding, they could give her the respect her station warranted. Unfortunately, she was not.

As the conversation progressed, Xu Qing Chen's tone became more respectful and yielding. He spoke of how much his father missed Ye Li these past years and beseeched for her to come and stay at Xu manor for a time.

Naturally, Old Madam Ye reluctantly denied the request, but she replied in a placating manner that Ye Li had to stay home since she was soon to be married.

Xu Qing Chen immediately rebutted that his aunt had died young. His grandfather was afraid that when this cousin of his married off she would be unable to handle the affairs of the manor and would be looked down upon by her husband's family. Specifically, Second Aunt had invited a few madams that were well respected within the city to come and teach. Additionally, a few mamas would also teach his cousin the proper etiquette and rituals. After all ... There were rumors outside that spoke of how Ye family's Third daughter lacked talent, virtues, and beauty. This shows that, whether it was speech or etiquette, she needed to be strictly taught from the beginning.

Old Madam Ye showed hints of difficulty as if there were words she wanted to say but couldn't find them.

Once again, her thoughts were reaffirmed. Ye Li knew that dealing with someone as experienced and old as Old Madam Ye one could not let the Old Madam lose any face. Using harsh methods to deal with harsh methods would not work here, flexibility was a must. Look at her older cousin: eloquent words, respectful demeanor. Who would believe that this youth was not the prime example of how someone of the younger generation should behave as they listened with reverence to the words of an elder?

But, Old Madam Ye did not show any conceit. Could she still propose anything else? This old madam had wanted to find a way for Ye Shan and Ye Lin to join Ye Li at Xu Manor, but the idea was stopped by Xu Qing Yan. Men and women should not mingle, this would ruin the reputation of the two young misses. She could only watch as the sons of the Xu family escorted Ye Li from the front gates of Ye Manor.

Once they left Ye Manor, everyone relaxed and became more carefree; even Xu Qing Ze, who generally had a cold face, revealed a faint smile. The unfamiliarity between cousins who had not seen each other in many years vanished in an instant.

As for Xu Qing Yan, though he was too young and did not have an impression of Ye Li, his personality was such that it made it easy for others to approach. It did not take that long for the two to act as if they were blooded siblings that grew up together.

Because the current family head of the Xu family, the father of Xu Qing Chen, Xu Qing Bai, Xu Qing Yan, the older uncle of Ye Li, Xu Hong Yu did not like pomp and circumstance, he did not stay at his younger brother's residence. Instead, he picked another location within the capital. The location belonged to the Xu family and was not very big. So, the delegation of Ye Li and the Xu family sons directly went to this other manor.