Chapter 2: Dowry

葉璃 |璃兒 – Ye Li | Li er – Main Female Protagonist – first di (嫡 – legitimate / of the official wife) daughter of the Ye family, but the third child in the family.

定王 | 墨修堯 – Ding wang | Mo Xiu Yao – Imperial Prince Ding
黎王 | 墨俊黎 – Li wang | Mo Jun Li – Imperial Prince Li

YE FAMILY MEMBERS:

葉尚書 – Ye Shangshu – Ye Li's father who has the title or position of official in charge of presenting memorials to the emperor and official correspondence

(氏 – shi – clan name / maiden surname)
徐氏 – Xu shi – Ye Li's mother
王氏 – Wang shi – the current main wife of Ye Shangshu and current zhumu (主母 – owner 'mother' / mother in charge of the household) of the household

葉昭儀 (大姐 / 大小姐) – Ye Zhao Yi (Da jie / Da xiaojie) – Ye Li's eldest sister
葉瑩 – Ye Ying – 4th daughter in the family

容哥兒 – Rong ge er – Ye Li's younger brother who had just turned seven

BOLD - NAMES OF PEOPLE, PLACESITALIC - CHINESE TERMS IN PINYINUNDERLINE - UNKNOWNBLUE - DEFINITION BRACKETS

Fu Imperial Capital

CHAPTER 2: DOWRY

Although everyone knew that Ding wang was trash, but this trash in the end was still the Da Chu dynasty's one and only first-rate wangye next in line for succession.

So for Ye Shangshu (尚書 – title or position of official in charge of presenting memorials to the emperor and official correspondence) and the Ye family's laotaitai (老太太 – elderly lady) who have always treated Ye Li with complete indifference, they still put in the seldomly used effort in conversing with Ye Li.

"Sunnu (孫女 – granddaughter) pays respect to zumu (祖母 – respectful or intimate way of addressing grandmother) and to fuqin(父親 – respectful or intimate way of addressing father)." Ye Li arrived at laofuren's (老夫人 – old madam / title for the mother of a noble or an official) Rong Le hall.

Ye Shangshu and Wang shi (氏 – clan name / maiden surname) as well as fourth xiaojie (小姐 – young miss or lady) Ye Ying were already there.

Ye laofuren nodded with a look of affection on her face and smiled, saying, "Li er (儿 – term of endearment for one's child / child), just rise. Now that you've been betrothed to Ding wang and next month Ying er is also getting married to Li wang, our family can be considered to be having two simultaneous happy events*."

((*NOTE: "雙喜臨門 – SHUANGXILINMEN" LITERALLY MEANS "DOUBLE HAPPINESS ARRIVING AT THE DOOR", WHICH IS AN IDIOM FOR HAVING TWO HAPPY EVENTS OR NEWS SIMULTANEOUSLY HAPPENING TO THE FAMILY.))

Ye Li got up, her eyes looking down on the ground but her face was actually shown to be completely respectful. "Causing zumuto specially rush back here from outside, it is sunnu who is unfilial to have made zumu look after me." Although she didn't particularly like Ye Li, the words that Ye Li said still made laofuren absolutely happy.

She looked at Ye Li with her face showing more affection and said, "This is our family's big happy occasion, how can I not come back? The two young women's dowry has to be prepared properly."

Wang shi quickly got up and looked at laotaitai with some difficulty, saying, "Ye laotaitai, originally there was only fourth daughter getting married next month so we could still make it, but now there's also third xiaojie. I'm just afraid that..."