Chapter 25: To Be Treated As A Shield

Having gone through nearly two shichen[1] (shichen = 2 hours) of contesting, the winners for each skill were finally determined. Ye Ying's achievements were somewhat inferior compared to last year; even though she had later put in utmost effort in displaying a flying celestial fairy dance, it was barely enough to fight to a standstill with Xi Xia gongzhu[2] to stand side by side for first place.

However with Feng third gongzi[3] known in the capital for his unparalleled zither skill overruling, she lost to the Liu family's daughter Liu Ru Yun and felt reluctant as she got second place. Afterwards, she also acquired third place in composing poetry, nevertheless also finding it difficult to cover up Ye Ying's aggrieved expression of being defeated. It was actually Xi Xia gongzhu who as a foreigner had managed to shine in the later compet.i.tions; she acquired the good achievements of getting third place with her zither skill, first in calligraphy, and second place for chess. So like this, Xi Xia gongzhu with her two first place victories, one second place win, and one for getting third place became this time's Hundred Flowers Event's overall first place winner.

Zhao Yang Chang gongzhu was obviously completely satisfied towards these results; the several judges on the viewing platform were also more appreciative towards this foreign gongzhu. At the time when Su Zhe laodaren[4] was about to announce the outcome of the Hundred Flowers Event, Xi Xia gongzhu stooped to whisper a couple of words at Zhao Yang gongzhu's ear and stood up to give a slight bow to Su laodaren in apology, then she turned around to look towards the sad-looking Ye Ying off the stage, a trace of a sneer streaking across her eyebrows.

"Forgive me everyone, Xi Xia requests for a new dancing compet.i.tion with Ye fourth xiaojie[5] ." Xi Xia gongzhu's clear voice said, immediately the venue became noisy.

Feng Zhi Yao lazily leaned on the chair, looking at Xi Xia gongzhu as he laughed and spoke, "Being able to once again see gongzhu and the capital's number one beauty's dancing skill, I believe that everyone present would be utterly delighted. It's just....don't know why one has to start another new compet.i.tion?"

Xi Xia gongzhu raised her head and proudly said, "Isn't it that you people of the Central Plains say that there is no number one in writing and no number two in martial arts[a]? Although this dance can't compare to martial arts, however this gongzhu isn't used to being tied together with other people." As she spoke, she even disdainfully swept a glance over Ye Ying; the only thing lacking was that she didn't directly say that Ye Ying didn't deserve to be tied together with her. Ye Ying in the audience immediately turned pale, her slim figure on the verge of collapse. Everyone who was present took this all in and couldn't help but feel that Xi Xia gongzhu bullied intolerably. Xi Xia gongzhu nevertheless didn't at all mind how others looked at her, only staring fixedly at Ye Ying.

Feng Zhi Yao's languid phoenix eyes swept over Mo Jing Li who was sitting on one side with a gloomy expression and laughed as he said, "Your Highness Li w.a.n.g[6], what do you think? After all...Ye fourth xiaojie is your fiancée."

Mo Jing Li glanced at Ye Ying in the audience, his cold eyes with an added trace of wavering and indifferently said, "Xi Xia gongzhu, is this due to being dissatisfied with Yao Ji's evaluation?"

Yao Ji smiled sweetly and suddenly with a charming and gorgeous att.i.tude, said "If Xi Xia gongzhu still has an even more beautiful dance, Yao Ji is naturally willing to enjoy it. It's just that I don't know if I could have this honour."

Mo Jing Li stayed silent. Although he didn't have much understanding about dancing, Mo Jing Li naturally knew that from the results given by Yao Ji, Ye Ying and Xi Xia gongzhu's dancing skills ought to be equally matched. However, dancing was originally a kind of skill where one uses their eyes to watch with pleasure. Even though there was little discrepancy between the two people's basic training, Xi Xia gongzhu's pa.s.sionate and moving style compared to Ye Ying's graceful and otherworldly style was clearly even more capable of moving people. One could also perhaps call this kind of situation as difficult songs finding few singers (means highbrow). If Ye Ying were to once again lose to Xi Xia gongzhu.....Mo Jing Li's handsome sword-like eyebrows creased.