Chapter 8: Baron

Sitting on the edge of my bed, I held the notes tightly. The list for my mountain trip. I knew going on my own was risky, so I took my phone and some bandages. Money, food, charger, sunglasses, jacket, and my water bottle. My bottle was pretty interesting, I wrote the Monty Hall problem on it. Just in case I was bored, it was quite a mind boggling puzzle that I never really got. But back to the list, I think I've got it, the perfect hiking trip to clear my mind. Skipping school for this would definitely be worth it. Just an escape from the world I was in and connect with nature. Just one day, that's all I need. Waking up during the morning, I took my bag full of stuff, wrote a note and stuck it on the fridge. Opening the door, I headed for the mountain...

Kayla walked alongside me, begging for some water. Holding my water bottle, I poured a little for her, which she lapped gratefully.

"Looks so close." Twinkle lamented "Yet so far."

"Talking less helps." Jerry snapped.

"Fine."

Jesse pursed her lips, she hated arguments, no matter what the issue was about. As both men argued, I asked her

"Are you okay?"

"What?" She stuttered "Oh, I'm alright."

Giving her a look that I wasn't buying it, she calmed herself and forced a smile

"I'm fine, really."

"Are you scared that Jerry will use his bow and whack Twinkle or something?"

She clutched her stomach, laughing uncontrollably. Causing Jerry and Twinkle to turn their attention to her. They both ran to her,  anxious to see if anything was wrong.

"I'm fine." She giggled between breaths.

Twinkle shook his head

"You nearly scared me there." He chuckled.

"Like you would care." Jerry muttered.

"Look kid,"

"I'm not a kid, Robert."

Twinkle flinched, the twinkle in his eyes gone for a second, then bowed his head and continued walking. Jerry noticed and bit his lip

"Did I go too far, Atlantis?"

"I don't know, I don't think people use his name a lot. Just let him rest a bit, he knew you didn't mean it."

"Just let him think for a while, I can talk to him later." Jesse frowned, her cheer gone.

Suddenly, Kayla barked ferociously, howling at a figure approaching. Holding my wooden knife in my hand, I readied myself for an attack. Jerry was gripping his bow and Twinkle readying his fist. Jesse stood defenseless but prepared for a fight.

"Woah, hold it there, people." The figure spoke, his words clear and calming. Walking closer, I saw a lanky man with long, rough black hair. He wore a striped blue business suit that embraced his bony figure. He looked like the monopoly man but with long hair, thinner, and with a clean shave. Holding his monocle, he smiled at us.

"I saw a group of survivors at our base's gates." He motioned for the road ahead of us, noticing that we couldn't see anything he continued

"The base is a few roads ahead, are there anymore of you?"

Jerry and Twinkle both shook there heads

"Not that we know of." Twinkle responded.

"And who is your leader?" The figure looked around us, hoping someone would eventually claim the title.