Chapter 4: Kayla

Sitting on a boulder while slowly nibbling on a peanut butter sandwich was not how I envisioned my survival, but I thought there wasn't really a way to survive with my lack of strength and will so I just sat there. I probably did that for half and hour before a 4x4 car pulled up there. A mid-aged man walked out, panting and smiling. I don't think I made a very good impression, a teenage girl sitting on a boulder while nibbling on a half eaten sandwich? I would have driven away as fast as I could. But this man didn't. He stretched out his right hand and chuckled

"I'm Robert, my friends call me Twinkle."

I stared for a moment before standing up and shook his hand.

"Atlantis."

"Atlantis," he worded the name carefully "That's a beautiful name."

Twinkle, the first survivor I met after the rush...

I haven't felt this refreshed since the day the rush came, I suppose a good bed does give a good night of sleep. Twinkle was sleeping on the floor, hugging his blanket tightly. I put on my knightcon jacket and boots and opened the door. Cruellum sat on the head chair of the dining table, examining his staff. I decided to head outside for some fresh air, and to avoid the Cruellum. I walked past him cautiously and reached for the doorknob.

"Don't die out there kid." Cruellum murmured gruffly, his piercing stare still fixed on his polished staff.

"I'll try not to." I smirked.

"Don't test me kid, things haven't been as peaceful since you came. If you've come to spread evil, then do so quickly."

At this point I decided to leave hastily, I found a big log and sat there. The view never changes, yet the small details does. I'd only seen it for one day but I already felt like I'd known it forever. The whole ground consisted of leaves and dirt. I decided to take a long stick and draw on the dirt, clearing away the leaves with my boot. There are a lot of things you can illustrate with mother nature, ducks, trees, humans, sometimes even unrealistic horses with long noses and squared feet. Occasionally, a few ants would walk through the bumpy draws, kicking a grain of sand or two. The wind swayed the trees, giving the leaves a little shake, all music to my ears.

At this point, I was too bored to stay but too comfortable to leave. I searched around and saw a moving bush, there wasn't any wind and it seemed like an animal was stuck in there. I walked slowly towards it, only to find a dog. Seeing me, it barked, either a call for help or telling me to stay back. I hushed at it, trying to calm it. Taking a stick, I poked at the bush, untangling the poor dog. It gradually started to see that I was helping it and continued trying to escape the bush. When it finally jumped out, barking gladly. It seemed to be quite healthy and well fed, smiling happily at human contact. I assume it was probably a pet before the rush as it had a collar,

"Well hello." I whispered.

It wagged its tail frantically, excited to meet a new friend. I reached out my hand, it smelled it.

"Do you," I spoke slowly "Have a name?"

It responded by chasing it's tail. I pet it's head and lifted their collar, the word Kayla donned on.

"Kayla?"

Kayla sat down, hearing her name. I never thought I would want a dog, but I don't think Twinkle, Jerry, or Jesse would have a problem with it, but Cruellum on the other hand. I took a stick and smiled at her.

"Catch!" I yelled, throwing the stick with all my might, and ran toward the cabin.

Slamming the door, I saw a hungover Jerry, and Jesse cooking breakfast.

"Well look at that, girl didn't die!" Grumbled Cruellum.

"Thank goodness." Jesse laughed.

Jerry didn't say anything, he gripped a cup of water. He was wearing a Terry Walnut t-shirt with the words 'Bundles of fun at Walnut Bun!', along with black shorts. His firm, red hair was now a tousled mess. I sat next to him, getting a better glance at his bloodshot eyes,

"Good morning." I piped.

He mumbled a strained response and chugged more water.

"Shame you didn't die." Cruellum chuckled.

"Will you shut up? You're too loud." Jerry complained.

"Well if you didn't drink so much you wouldn't be in this state."

"Shut up."

"Enough, gentlemen." Jesse interrupted, setting down hot plates of toast and bacon.

Cruellum grabbed a knife and pointed at Jerry menacingly before eating his breakfast. Jerry picked up the bacon with his fingers and flung it to his mouth. Jesse rolled her eyes and took a bite on her toast. Twinkle came out of the room, rubbing his head and sat down on a vacant seat, mumbling a good morning to everyone. As I was about to put a slice of bacon into my mouth, a loud barking came from the door, making me drop the poor bacon on the floor. Jerry reached for his knife and opened the door, only to see a happy dog. Kayla ran to me noticed the bacon I dropped, and gulped it at a blink of an eye. Jerry seemed tense but realized what was happening. I pet the dog's head just to show him Kayla wasn't hostile.

"You know it?" Jesse asked.

I shrugged "I saved her when she was stuck in the bush."

"Well, I think she's lovel-"

"OUT! GET OUT!" Cruellum waved his staff towards Kayla aggressively.

Kayla ran behind me, between my legs, whimpering. I grabbed Cruellum's  yelling

"She's harmless!"

"We're all doomed! She will be the end of us all!" Cruellum howled.

I ran to my room, motioning Kayla to follow me while Cruellum was being held back by Jerry and Jesse. Once Kayla was in the room, I closed the door. I knelt down and pet her

"I'm sorry I left you, but you saw what happens if I keep you."

As if sensing my sadness, Kayla lay down on the floor. I kept brushing through her golden brown fur, it was short and rough. After she relaxed, I stepped outside, while Jerry and Jesse calmed Cruellum down. Twinkle sat there drinking a cup of tea, motioning for me to not cause any more disturbance as Kayla followed me outside. I made a little shelter out of leaves for her and told her to stay there. Kayla whimpered but obliged. I went back into the cabin, explaining everything. Jerry and Jesse sat for a moment, thinking, while Cruellum gripped his staff angrily.

"I don't see why we shouldn't keep her." Jerry mused.

"She's not causing any harm." Agreed Jesse.

"We should vote." Twinkle suggested.

"We are not keeping that beast, who knows what that devilish girl will do with such a weapon." Cruellum protested.

"That's a no from Cruellum I suppose." Luke sighed.

"It's a yes for me." Jesse beamed.

"I say yes." Twinkle said.

"Well, I say yes," Jerry motioned to me "You?"

I grinned "Yes!"

"Then it's settled, she keeps the dog." Jerry declared, much to Cruellum's dismay.

"You're letting her carry out evil plans to separate us all! I will slaughter the dog myself! Just you wait!" Cruellum threatened.

I didn't care, I got to keep her.

________________________________________________________________________________

Please give feedback, I really need it or the world will end. Hopefully not rush style.

Karrot