Chapter thirty-five

"Prouvaire, won't you tell me what is going on?" I almost begged as we glided through the ballroom. Although Prouvaire's dancing was smooth, his posture and face were very tense.

"Genevieve, the boys and I came alone tonight because..." he began and then stopped, again.

"Prouvaire, it's only me, please, will you tell?" I gave the hand that lead a squeeze.

"Ok, because, chance of survival is so little..." he stopped. There was an awkward pause, although joyful music filled the ballroom, it began to fade into the background. I felt my head grow light as I revisited dreaded scenes in my head that the future may hold. It must've hurt so much to hear him speak such sadness as, in other words, he was saying they didn't want to do to a girl what Enjolras had done to me.

"We didn't want to hurt anyone" he finished his sentence.

"I see" I nodded slowly.

The music stopped and the dance had ended, Prouvaire and I made our way back of the boys, Enjolras over flowing with jealousy and suspicion.

"Had fun?" Enjolras tried to smile to me.

"Yes" I giggled, amused by his terrible effort of trying to smile through his angrily gritted teeth.

"Oh Enjolras, you know I'm forever yours" I smiled as I brought his eyes' attention back to me rather than piercing holes into Prouvaire's.

"C'mon Fireboy, lets go for a walk" I forced on a smile.

I didn't like hiding my emotions from Enjolras. I hated it. It felt so wrong, even if the truth were to hurt him, it still felt like it would do much less damage.

We exited the house and made our way to the garden, where luscious green bushes of great size sprouted from the ground, lining a moonlit path. At the end of the paved stone path, there was a simple, white bench, accompanied by a flowered arch way. Magnificent, would truly be an understatement.

"So tell me fire boy, where are you from?" I questioned.

"What?" Enjolras pulled a puzzled expression.

"You heard me, where are you from?" I edged on.

"Gen, we're engaged for Christ sake. I think our days of making small talk are well and truly behind us" he explained.

"Yes, well, I need to know things" I shrugged.

"What do you mean 'things'?" He mimicked me.

"'Things' like where you're from" I mimicked him mimicking me, this could go on all day.

"Seriously?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Seriously" I nodded.

"Alright then, well I'm from..." he paused for dramatic effect.

"Here!" He pretended to be shocked, I rolled my eyes in return.

"That's not what I meant! I mean, well, did you grow up in this house?" I questioned further.

"Yes, well actually, I grew up in Marius' house for the most of it" he shrugged as we walked down the paved path.

"Is that so?" I smiled.

"Yes, I used to go round to his house all the time, I rarely left" he smiled slightly.

"Why?" I looked up at him.

"Well, we were both the only child and needed some company I guess. He was like a brother to me, he still is really" he smiled a small smile to me.

"I think it's wonderful how you and Marius grew up and were there for each other like that" I took his arm.

"Don't go getting all sappy now, brothers fight you know" he teased.

"Oh, I know" I rolled my eyes as I thought of Courf.

"Y'know one time we playing soldiers and he took my gun" he nodded.

"Huh! No he never!" I gasped pretending to be outraged.

"Oh shut up, as the young leader of a revolution I took great pride in that wooden gun" he chuckled.

"So your fascination with the revolution started from a young age?" I questioned.

"I guess so, I don't know, it's just when my father would pick me up in the carriage from Marius' house, we'd pass right through the streets of the city and I'd just see so many helpless people and I'd get so angry. All I wanted to do was just get out of the carriage and help them, so I did" he explained.

"What did you do?" I was completely taken in by his story.

"Every Sunday, our chef would always throw away any left overs that didn't get eaten over the week, perfectly good food, perfectly wrapped up in trays. So I'd walk into town in the early morning and I'd give them anything I could" Enjolras looked at the ground.

"How old were you?" I asked.

"When I started? I was six, and now I get the maids to do it whenever I can't" Enjolras' faze still remained firmly on the floor.

"You have a heart of gold" I looked into his eyes as we reached the end of the path.

"Stop it, you have the kindest heart of all, Gen" Enjolras shook his head. I shied away from Enjolras' comment, a hot blush rushing to my cheeks.

"No really, you see the good in the bad, you give this dreadful, unfair place potential as if it really could become something" He took my hands.

"Enjolras, if anyone's changing this place, it's you" I swung one pair of our joined hands.

There was a light, peaceful silence. None of us really knew what was supposed to happen next, we'd both dived head first into this relationship but, in all honesty, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Enjolras eventually made the first move when he raised our hands and intertwined our fingers.

"I want to be with you forever" Enjolras whispered.

"Forever." I replied.

Enjolras pulled me in further, pulling our conjoined hands and bringing them into his chest. My eyes flickered between his perfect blue eyes which glowed like sapphires under this moonlight and his perfect lips, until eventually, Enjolras removed one of his hands from mine, placing it on my waist and kissed me.