Chapter thirty-two

I slipped my shoes on and with a final touch to my hair, I was ready for the ball. I had tried to arrange to meet Enjolras there to save him the trouble, but, of course, he insisted on picking me up.

"Are you ready?" Courfeyrac knocked at my door.

"Yes, Courf, come in!" I called back.

His mouth opened slightly when I came into view, I was never one for having a big ego, or thinking highly of myself at all, but I had to admit, I was beautiful, that dress was really something.

"You look amazing" he approached me, wrapping his arms around me.

"Thank you, but prepare yourself, brother" I sighed then pulled away.

I slowly turned Courfeyrac by the shoulders revealing to him the heavenly vision that was Anita. She reminded me of my mother, the same figure of delicateness but at the same time someone completely different, she was truly breathtaking.

"A-anita" Courfeyrac stumbled over his words.

I gave Courfeyrac a light push as I don't think he had the strength to approach her himself, all source of movement had been stripped away from him as he lamely stumbles over to Anita.

She placed a sweet kiss to him to try and bring him back to earth. It slightly awoke him as he swept her into his arms, I hated to admit, but those two were damn cute.

Anita added some finishing touches to my look, then we descended the stairs, seeing my father.

"Genevieve, my gorgeous girl, you look beautiful" my father smiled to me.

"Thank you, Father" I smiled and gave him a hug.

"Monsieur Enjolras is waiting for you" he smiled in return as the front doors opened.

Enjolras must've heard to door swing open or saw the inside light brightening up the dark drive as he turned his head and met eyes with me. I fell in love with him all over again. I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed him until I saw him there, he looked at me so lovingly, as did I in return.

"Gen-" he breathed.

"Hello Fireboy" I smiled back.

Enjolras weakly extended his arm out for me to take, I took it and he lead us to the carriage.

"You have no idea, just how stunning you are" he whispered unsteadily.

"Thank you, Fireboy. You're looking pretty gorgeous yourself" I admitted.

"You also have no idea how much I want to kiss you right now" He leant down and whispered to my ear.

"Who's stopping you?" I teased back, looking into his eyes and smiling.

"The man watching me like a hawk from the doorway" he whispered. I turned around to see father staring intently at Enjolras, sometimes looking at his face when it came into view, but particularly watching his hands.

"Don't let him bother you! We're going to have a wonderful time tonight, my love" I perked up and kissed him on the cheek as I was about to step into the carriage. Enjolras' cheeks turned red when I kissed him, knowing my father was eyeing us down, so he quickly walked around to the other side of the carriage and took his seat.

We held hands as the carriage drove away from the front door, and started to journey.

"I've missed you" Enjolras kissed my hand.

"Enjolras, it's not been that long!" I giggled, but I noticed his smile fade.

"But, if I'm honest, I've missed you too" I sighed, causing Enjolras to regain his smile.

"Come here Fireboy" I smiled then joined our lips. I knew I'd realised how much I missed him when I saw him, but when I kissed him, the feelings love and care all came back that I never even realised were missing.

We arrived at Enjolras' house which had been flooded with wealthy families and friends, some already inside, some situated outside ready to enter. I hadn't even realised that I had started shaking until a warm hand took it into it's comfort.

"Are you nervous, darling?" Enjolras looked at me.

"A little..." I looked at my lap.

"Well, I know for starters this most definitely isn't your first ball so you'll probably know what to do better than me. Second of all, I'll be with you at all times, I won't leave you by yourself. And lastly, you look absolutely beautiful so if anyone should be nervous it should be me!" Enjolras gave my hand a squeeze and spoke with a smile.

"Why would you be nervous" I gave a small smile.

"Because, I've got to be careful of all the other men!" He admitted.

"Well the same goes for me! The women will be all over you" I looked him up and down.

"Well, that's expected, but-" he said sarcastically.

"Shut up, you!" I giggled.

"But, really, no matter how many maidens May look at me" he joked earning another light giggle from me.

"I have eyes for you, only and always" he spoke truth into my eyes.

I was slightly taken back, as all the light hearted joking around and had easily retreated away and I was left in awe at his powerful words.

"I love you" was all I could seem to muster.

"I love you too" he spoke back.

He got out of the carriage, then made his way over to the door on my side, opening it with a smile.

"C'mon, gorgeous. Let's dance"