Chapter forty-three

"Boys!" Turned to find all of the boys standing crammed in the area behind the door.

"Hi! Hi Gen! Good to see you!" Voices sounded from the muddle as I threw myself into them and attempted to hug them all at once.

"And what about me?" Grantaire wandered through the door, I presumed he was down at the bar but when I embraced him he didn't smell of alcohol, but perfume.

"You smell good" I raised an eyebrow as we broke away.

"It's a special day" he shrugged.

"Grantaire!" I squealed as he suddenly linked his arms around my legs and hoisted me in the air. As he began to spin my around, I could almost feel Enjolras' jealousy, but the thought of annoying Enjolras is probably why Grantaire did it in the first place.

"That's enough of that, we have a revolution to attend to" Enjolras crossed his arms anna the laughs and cheers from the boys died down.

Grantaire set me down and I approached Enjolras as the others gathered around the table.

"Thank you" I smiled before pecking his lips.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you" I smiled widely.

"I love you, Butterfly girl" he said softly.

"I love you more, Fireboy"

"C'mon, like you said Enjolras, we have a revolution to attend to" Courfeyrac approached us and placed a hand on each of our shoulders.

"Correct" he nodded.

I took a seat nearer the bottom of the table so I could catch up with some of the boys, besides the top of the table isn't much fun as Enjolras doesn't like to be disturbed. I took a seat in between Prouvaire and Marius with Combeferre and Lesgle across from us.

"So Gen, are you fully recovered?" Prouvaire questioned as sheets of thin paper where passed down from the top of the table.

"What? Oh of course, yes I'm feeling much better thank you" With everything that had gone on today, it slipped my mind that I'd fainted in the first place.

"Cosette and I left you flowers, did you get them?" Marius asked.

Cosette.

"Oh, y-yes I did, thank you and th-thank her for me to" I pressed on a smile then looked into my lap. What was I doing here? I have a sister, another sister that is just sitting at home somewhere near and I'm not there trying to talk to her.

"Are you alright Gen?" Lesgle snapped me from my daze.

"Yes, I'm fine. Sorry, what where we talking about? Your flowers. Yes, I received all of your gifts and messages and I thank you all for them. If you'll excuse me, I'll be back in a moment" I quickly stood up and tucked my chair in under the table.

"Where are you going?" Enjolras asked just as I approached the door.

"Oh, no where. I just need some fresh air, I'll only be a moment" I tried to put on a smile but it was a bit faulty. I was scared Enjolras had seen right through it, but I soon relaxed a bit after he just nodded and returned back to his conversation with Courfeyrac.

I hurried down the wooden steps and rushed out the door. A cool breeze hit my face and I felt instantly relieved as I leant against the wall.

"Gen!" A little voice called over.

"Gavroche!" I smiled from ear to ear at the sight of my little man running towards me.

"Why aren't you inside?" I questioned as I scooped him up in my arms.

"I had some er, business" Gavroche became stiff. I set him down, keeping a hold of his shoulders to assure he was steady and crouched down to his level.

"Hmm, this business wouldn't have anything to do with my sister would it?" I raised an eyebrow and a guilty smile appeared on his face.

"No" he shook his head, trying to drop the smile that was plastered to his face.

"Why aren't you inside?" Gavroche changed the subject.

"I just needed some fresh air" I sighed.

"Are you feeling okay?" Gavroche placed his little hand on my cheek.

"Gen, are you alright" Marius appeared at the door.

"I'm fine, thank you boys" I looked to the ground.

"Hello Gav, do you think you could go upstairs and tell the boys that Gen and I'll be back in a minute, say we went to the shop for refreshments" Marius crouched to Gavroche's level and asked.

"Okay" Gavroche nodded.

"Marius and Gen went to the shops for fresh mints" Gavroche practiced as he entered the Musain.

"Refreshments!" Marius called after him.

"Close enough" Gavroche called back.

Marius and I let out a laugh as Gavroche scurried up the stairs.

"Forgive me if I'm overstepping, but you running out of there wouldn't have anything to do with Cosette, would it?" Marius cleared his throat, taking a spot against the wall.

"Possibly" I mumbled.

"Would you like to talk to her? I mean, she's out in town just now, but perhaps dinner tonight at my house?" Marius asked, his voice slightly shaky as I could tell he didn't want to make me uncomfortable.

"I appreciate the offer Marius, but I'm just not sure how she'll react" I sighed.

"Cosette will over joyed to talk this over with you, she was delighted when I told her-"

"So she knows..." I nodded slowly.

"Y-yes, I hope that's okay. Madame Houcheloup told me about everything when you fainted and I felt I had to let Cosette know... I'm sorry if I intruded in your business" Marius bowed his head in regret.

"Don't be silly Marius, I'm not upset with her already knowing. To be completely honest, you sort of did me a favour because now I don't need to think of a way to say 'hi, I'm your sister who was given away to a rich family while you were mistreated'" I sighed, earning a small chuckled from Marius.

"Well, I think that pretty much summed it up" he smiled, shooting me a quick wink.

"Anyways, dinner tonight at seven o'clock. Bring Enjolras, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to stick by your side through this" Marius explained, looking up at the window as he mentioned my fiancé.

"Alright, but Marius, please promise me that she'll be okay?" I raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"I mean if she starts to get uncomfortable or upset, just promise me you'll change things? After all, it was her who still kept in contact with our mother through the inn keepers, and her upbringing before she was taken in by Monsieur Valjean, sounded on the opposite side of the scale from mines" I explained, leaning my head back against the wall.

"I assure you, nothing will get awkward and if things start to spiral I will be at your rescue" Marius nodded.

"Thank you Marius, really" I smiled.

"It's not a problem" Marius returned my smile.

I embraced him in a  hug before Marius mentioned something I hadn't thought of.

"We should probably go and actually get refreshments or we'll look suspicious"

"Good call" I nodded before we turned down the alley and headed towards the nearby shops of city for some 'fresh mints'.