Chapter twenty-six

I gave Gavroche a quick, appreciative hug then began running away from the peaceful pond.

"Where are you going?!" I heard Courfeyrac's voice ring out behind me.

"I'll be back!" I turned my head back slightly then continued running.

I ran out of the grounds, looking at all the places Enjolras and I had been together. The window he pulled me back from, the bed of grass we fell into, the wall surrounding the grounds where I felt the electricity the first night we met.

I had left the grounds and was now on the familiar country road, night had fallen, but I was unafraid. I was coming up to the tree in which my step-father and mother's initials were engraved on, where Enjolras and I shared yet another moment.

I was nearing where we first met, where we'd first collided when I saw a figure. It was running as fast as me, if not faster, approaching the special spot.

"Excuse me!" The voice called as we collided shoulders.

"Genevieve?" The boy looked at me. His eyes puffy and tired, like mine.

"Enjolras" I breathed out. My knees became weak as his name left my lips, we just stood there, in the very same spot we'd met. My legs began to weaken so much so that they began to collapse, causing me to grab onto the nearest thing to me... him.

"Uh sor-" I began apologising, but my breath was taken away from his eyes. They were still the gorgeous, sapphire blue but were blood shot and teary.

We stood there frozen, him holding me just he did when saw him for the first time ever. My eyes never left his, I wanted to say something but I couldn't, I felt as if I did he would let go, he would disappear.

"I- I've missed you..." Enjolras choked out. I notice his eyebrows cringe and him biting his lip as he managed to break the ongoing silence.It was my turn to talk now, my turn to say the right thing and not ruin the remains of our fragile relationship.

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Trying to form words was the hardest thing ever in that moment, so actions would have to do, as that was all I could manage. I eagerly pressed my lips onto his, the feeling I had been desperately wanting for what had felt like an eternity was now mine again. He raised me up, lifted me off the ground, not breaking our lip's contact once as he pulled even closer to him. He really had missed me, but I doubt it was half as much I had missed him.

"I couldn't spent any longer without you. I couldn't waste anymore time" I said in between a kiss then connected our lips again.

"I agree" he gave me one more kiss then set me down on my feet.

"Enjolras, I talked as if you were dead. I had convinced myself that you were gone for good, I had killed you off before you were gone, Gavroche made me realise that. I was being stupid, wasting time when I should've been with you" I cried to him. I still couldn't seem to convince myself that he was standing with me.

"Genevieve, this is all my fault. I let you go, which I will never do again. Ever" he tried a half smile, but failed. Instead he took me in his arms and held me close to him, I could hear his racing heart beat underneath his burgundy coat. I took in his scent as strange as it may sound, he smelt like home, like somewhere comfortable, like somewhere I belonged.

"I love you, Genevieve. I'm madly in love with you and that will never change" he kissed the top of my head.

"And I'm in love with you, Enjolras. Forever and always" I squeezed the arms that were around his waist.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" I shyly asked, still in his embrace.

"Will you stay with me forever?" He replied.

"Always" I chuckled back, amused by his response.

We walked back hand in hand, I couldn't wait to return to the two pairs at the pond and not be alone, to have my life partner with me.

"I was on my way to your house, you know" Enjolras smiled to me.

"And I was on my way to you" I smiled back.

"I figured" he chuckled back.

"Oh, by the way, Gavroche has a new addition" I teased.

"What do you mean? Like a girlfriend?" Enjolras raised an eyebrow.

"Of a sort..." My voice trailed off as a smirk grew on my face.

"I didn't really predict Gav to be a ladies man" he said surprised.

"I didn't really predict you to be a ladies man" I grinned in return. Enjolras laughed at my comment, I had missed his laugh, I had missed everything about him. I had also missed just talking and joking around, keeping things more lighthearted.

We had arrived at my house and saw that Courfeyrac, Anita, Gavroche and Lilette were still wandering around the garden. Anita and Courf were sitting beside a bed of flowers, her laying across him.
Gavroche and Lilette were over by the vegetable garden, him being the perfect gentleman and taking her arm in his. Then Enjolras and I, hand in hand strolling over to the moonlit pond, it felt natural again, like I could finally breathe.

"Enjolras, you're back!" Gavroche had Lilette by the hand and dragged her over to us.

"I am, and I'm not leaving" he smiled down to Gavroche.

"Is this the man who was on top of you the other day? The one who scratched your itch?" Lilette tilted her head to one side, Enjolras couldn't help but chuckle.

"Yes, it is" I blushed.

"They're in love" Gavroche stated to my sister, causing her jaw to drop.

"My sister is in love?!" She raised her eyebrows.

"I could say the same about you!" I smirked back moving my eyes to and from her and Gavroche.

"I- I don't know what you mean" she bashfully replied, twirling the daisy Gavroche had picked for her around. I noticed Gavroche turn a deep chase of red and started awkwardly itching as he looked at the ground, the spitting image of what Enjolras would do...