Chapter seven

I just stood there looking into Enjolras' eyes as he stared into mines, god knows what faces Grantaire was expressing behind me.

Suddenly the silence was broken as a little boy came hurdling to towards me.

"It's you!" The little voice piped up hugging my skirt.

"I remember you... what's your name?" It dawned on me that we never exchanged names during our brief conversation.

"My name's Gavroche" he beamed up at me.

"I'm Genevieve, but please call me Gen, Gavroche" I smiled bending down to match height with his petite stature.

"Ok Gen!" He gave me a pat on the shoulder then scurried back to one of the boys' sides, I later realised that boy was actually Courfeyrac.

"You know Gavroche?" Courfeyrac asked, sounding like he'd never even met me.

"We met briefly" I smiled at Gavroche giving him a small wink.

"Why are you here?" Courfeyrac then questioned, approaching me.

"Gen you have to leave, see the guy in the burgundy?He doesn't like women being here!" he lowly spoke into my ear, trying to keep our conversation private.

"You know each other?" Enjolras looked at Courfeyrac, still beyond confused.

"Boys, I'd like you to meet my sister Genevieve" he introduced me, some of the boys smiled at me and some turned and made light chatter, presumably about me.

"Sister?!" Enjolras mouthed to me in disbelief. I nodded my head in response.

"Now Gen, you must go. This is Enjolras and he's not exactly the biggest fan of women being here" he looked at me but gestured to Enjolras.

"Ok, I'll see you at home Courf!" I turned to head out, but my escape was blocked by Grantaire. I looked at Courfeyrac who had left my side and joined in on the now reasonably loud chatter.

I looked back at Grantaire with pleading eyes to let me leave but he just shook his head and pushed me backwards with enough force to send me back and land in Enjolras' lap after loosing my footing.

"Hi..." I said looking at him.

"Gen, what are you doing here?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Honestly, I have no idea" I honesty admitted.

"I'm not trying to be rude, but you really shouldn't be here" He kept his eyebrow raised, leaning in to my ear so I could hear him over the racket, sending a warm shiver down my back.

"I know" I said beginning to stand up as I noticed the boys starting to stare.

"Bye boys!" I called as I started leaving, Enjolras grabbed my arm.

"Let me show you out" He kind of offered by dragging me out the door.

"Wow! They said you didn't like women being here but I didn't realise you were this bad!" I raised my voice as his strong arm pulled me behind him.

We reached the bottom of the stairs and he kept on pulling me until we were nearly at the door.

"Enjolras I can carry myself!" I stopped and yanked my hand from his.

"Why are you here Genevieve?! I think about you enough must you now show up at my place of work?!" He frustratedly approached me.

"It's not my fault you can't stop thinking about me!" I argued back.

"Yes it is! It feels like you're always here! I can't get you out of my head Genevieve!" His frustration rang out. I wasn't scared as I began to realise he was getting angry at himself, not me.

"I walk you home twice and when you're gone your still in my thoughts" his anger slowly turned to despair, confusion.

"Enjolras it's ok-" I reached for his hand but he quickly pulled it back.

"No. It's not" he turned his head away to the side.

"I don't know what's going on Gen" he looked down in sorrow.

My heart split in two. He was just a boy, he needed to be loved. He was always viewed as a fearless, emotionless leader with a heart of stone, who never let his guard down. Yet here he was, standing right in front of me not understanding his own feelings, scared.

"Enjolras" I reached for his hand once more, this time he let me take it. With my free hand I cupped his cheek and brought his head up to face me.

"I've been thinking about you all the time too" I let out a small giggle while I smiled at him.

"You have?" He asked in disbelief putting his hand over my one that held his face.

"I have" I looked down giggling then looked back up into his eyes, after minute Enjolras pulled away.

"We have work to do" he smiled holding my hand.

"We?" I asked.

"Yes, we. You're here now, you may aswell stay. But we need to have a talk Gen, so you fully understand. This is a revolution, not a game. This is extremely dangerous... so if you don't want to join us then I-"

"Enjolras, of course I'll fight with you, I believe in a revolution... I believe in you" I stood closer to him.

Sparks danced in his eyes as I intently looked into them, the fire in them burning brighter than ever. He eventually put a hand on my upper neck, holding the bottom of my cheek, then yet again, he turned his face away from me.

"Why do you always do that?" I questioned him.

"Do what?" He answered, confused.

"Enjolras, why must you always turn away from me?" I asked, getting slightly frustrated but hopefully not showing it.

"Because, if I face you then I'll want to..." he started.

"You'll want to...?" I held his hand that was holding my face.

"Genevieve I can't" he dropped his hand and tried to pull the other away but I held it firmly in place.

"You'll want to...?" I repeated my question, hoping for an answer this time round.

Careful not to startle him like before, I lightly turned his head to face me. He immediately pulled me close to him, dropping his hand from my neck to my waist.

"Can I kiss you Gen?"