Chapter thirty-three

This chapter is posted in celebration! Tonight I saw Les Miserable at the Queens theatre, London. It was outstanding. And I post this chapter in the honour of going to the stage door and meeting Enjolras!

"Enjolras, I can't" I looked up at him with frightened eyes as my feet threatened to run away.

"Genevieve, my beautiful butterfly-girl, all I want you do is stick with me for a night, can you do that?" Enjolras asked as he held me tightly in place by the shoulders as if, if he loosened his grip, I'd have been halfway home by now... he was probably right aswell.

After I moment of thinking I replied to his question with a slow, hesitant nod then looked down at the ground.

"C'mon Gen, lets go" Enjolras offered me his arm but I didn't take it.

"What's it gonna take to get you in there?!" Enjolras began to get frustrated, this humoured me. I noticed as his cheeks began to turn slightly red with frustration and I decided the best way to fix both of our moods.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, and placed a three second kiss in his lips.

"That should get me going" I smiled. Enjolras tried not to break his stone expression by rolling his eyes, but soon a smirk broke through his frown.

Once again, Enjolras offered me his arm, this time I gladly took it and we began walking towards the house where we were greeted by an older man and woman. The woman had the same golden locks as Enjolras, but were slightly more faded, and the man had the same crystal blue eyes... only then did it hit me.

"Enjolras, my sunshine!" The woman embraced Enjolras, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"How are you, my boy?" The man spoke, pulling Enjolras into side hug.

"You must be Genevieve" the woman smiled.

"How lovely it is to meet you, my darling" The man politely smiled to me.

"It is a pleasure to meet you too" I curtsied ever so slightly with grace, trying my hardest to make a good impression.

"May I say you look stunning tonight, Genevieve" The man bowed his head slowly.

"Thank you, Monsieur, but please, call me Gen" I spoke to both of them.

"Of course, and Gen, may I introduce to you, my mother and father, Anilise and Anselme Enjolras" Enjolras introduced his parents, I had almost forgotten that "Enjolras" was his last name as I had gotten so used to calling him by that name... well this could get confusing.

"You have a lovely home, Monsieur and Madame Enjolras" I politely admitted.

"S'il vous plaît, my dear, may you call us your Pere et Mere" Anilise smiled. I gave her an accidental surprised look in return, all I could think was how rude that may have looked.

"Please, child, you are welcomed into our family with open arms" Anselme picked up on my nervousness.

"Merci" I nodded in acceptance.

"Now, the dance floor awaits!" Anilise spoke before gesturing to the crowded ball room. After a final exchange of polite smiles, Enjolras lead us to the dance floor, the nerves began to return stronger as we weaved through the crowds of people, Enjolras sending smiles and nods to the many people he knew.

"Just follow my lead" Enjolras pulled me into a waltzing position. Immediately I straightened us up and rearranged where need to be until we were in the most perfect, flawless and faultless position to dance in.

"I know how to dance, remember?" I winked as the music began.

Enjolras began to turn and glide us across the marble floor, my dress lifting off the floor and layers underneath floating through the air as I was spun around.

"Gen!" I heard a little voice call.

I look around and eventually my eye was caught by blonde hair sneaking through the waltzing couples.

"Gavroche! You look so handsome!" I gasped as he stood in front of me.

"You look beautiful, Gen. You're looking not to bad yourself!" Gavroche looked to me then nodded to Enjolras.

"Alright, Gav... oh my goodness" Enjolras was distracted by someone in white.

"Uh, Gen" Enjolras spoke, keeping his eyes on the figure.

"What on earth is she doing here?!" I gasped as I saw the girl Enjolras was looking at.

I marched off it the dance floor and made my way up to the blonde haired girl.

"Lilette! What are you doing here?!" I stressed to her. At the mere sound of my voice, her face went pale.

"I-" she tried to speak but the words caught in her throat.

"You can't be here!" I scolded her.

"Gen, please!" She begged.

"No! You'll be on the first carriage home!" I grabbed her by the arm, but still being careful not to hurt her.

"Let go! Gen! Stop it!" She tried to free herself as I dragged her towards the exit.

"Stop making a scene, Lilette" I scolded her as we neared the door.

"Genevieve, you asked what I was doing here! Can't you at least hear what I have to say?!" She managed to wriggle her arm free.

"What then?" I folded my arms, trying to regain my temper.

"You used to go to balls all the time with mummy, but I was so young, I don't even remember my last ball properly! I've never been to real ball Genevieve, I was always left at home with Anita while you al went away to the parties" she spoke with her tone full of sorrow. I began to understand what she meant, she was always viewed as too young so she would be left behind,  staying home while we went out and had a wonderful time.

"And, most of all, I've most certainly never had anyone to take me to a ball, to dance with..." her voice trailed off as she looked to Gavroche.

A rush of guilt washed over me, she was just lonely, she just wanted to see her love, that was all, and, instead of understanding, I forbade her. If anyone knows about a secret love, or one that's certainly full of secrets, it's me, and I wouldn't be there for my own sister when I'd witnessed the feeling of wanting your love first hand. How selfish of me.

"Lilette, I'm so, terribly sorry. I should've understood, if anyone should support a secret love then it should be me as I've witnessed it first hand" I crouched down to her height.

"Go find Gavroche, and promise me, you'll have the best night of your entire life" I took her hands.

"I promise, Gen" she giggled.

"Off you go" I nodded to her. 

"Thank you, Gen" Lilette threw her arms around me. 

"That's ok, now go!" I hugged her back then shortly after, I ushered her away. 

"Wait, Lilette! One more thing!" I stopped her.

"Yes?" She replied.

"How did you get here?" I asked.

"Oh... uh, well... I kinda, snuck into Anita and Courf's carriage and lay on the floor of the drivers seat..." she started slow then spoke fast as she explained.

"Very sneaky" I winked smiling.