Chapter sixteen

"Gavroche shall you come stay with me tonight?" I offered as everyone began to pack up and get ready to leave.

"Actually I thought you could come stay with me?" A familiar voice spoke and spun me around to meet his eyes, my hands pressing on his chest and a devilish smile on his lips.

"I think most definitely not!" Courfeyrac forcefully put his cup down on the table and strolled over to Enjolras and I, still tangled in an embrace. 

"Courf, settle down! Like I said, nothing happened last night!" I rolled my eyes as I remembered our previous argument we had when I asked him to bring me clothes because I spent the night (well, most of it) at Enjolras'.

"I don't care, you may be engaged but you still have a father and a little sister at home who are worried about you" his eyes softened when he mentioned my sister.

I hadn't seen Lilette in what felt like years, I used to spend all day with her and now she'd not seen me in several days... poor girl. She gets lonely, especially without me, she has Anita, but she requires friends around her own age... around Gavroche's age... that gave me an idea...

"You're right, I'm sorry Fireboy but I really must see my sister... come along Gavroche" I extended my arm and offered Gavroche a hand.

"Offff, better luck next time mate" Gavroche patted Enjolras on the arm and shook his head, cheeky. I could help but laugh at his hilarious action of 'comforting' Enjolras from his rejection.

"Come on you" Courfeyrac rolled is eyes and laughed at Gavroche. Gavroche gave Enjolras, his lieutenant, one last salute then Courf picked him up and carried him out to the door way.

"Wait for me downstairs" I waved to Courf and a suddenly sleepy Gavroche.

"Alright, but I mean it, don't be long" he spoke sternly and carried Gavroche out of the room.

"I'm not sure why he's so strict" I turned to Enjolras.

"He just doesn't want you to get hurt... you know I'd never hurt you, right?" He spoke softly and tucked some stray hair from my face.

"I know..." I understood he would never hurt me, on purpose he wouldn't... but his almost guaranteed death to come in the revolution, that would hurt.

"Enjolras, when will the revolution be?" I asked as he took my my cheek in his hand.

"I don't know, my love, only time will tell. Besides, it's only just becoming spring, I don't imagine anything happening until the summer time" he comforted me. Although summer was still a few months away, I knew that on that day I would loose my brother, my best-est friends, and the love of my life...

"Genevieve, please don't you go off thinking about that again. We still have time! We're engaged for Christ sake! That's exciting Gen, that's good news!" He smiled, clasping my hands.

"You're right, I'm sorry, I just can't imagine my life with out you-" I began but I was pulled in for a passionate kiss, exactly what I needed from him. I needed him to bring back the present and away from the future that lies ahead.

"Then don't" He breathlessly said as he pulled back.

"Don't imagine life without me, I'm still here" he wrested his forehead on mines.

"I know you are, and I don't want it any other way. I love you Fireboy"

"And I love you Butterfly-girl. Now away you go, Courf will be getting impatient" he pulled me into his embrace once more.

"Goodnight, Enjolras" I gave him one last kiss then began to walk away.

"Goodnight, beautiful" I saw him wink as I walked away.

We started the journey home, Gavroche still resting on Courfeyrac. We were about half way home when I only just began thinking 'how are we going to hide him from father?!'

"Courf, how are we supposed to hide Gav from father?"

"It's easier thank you think" he spoke quietly and winked.

"Courfeyrac, I'm struggling to hide the revolution from him let alone a chi-... Wait, what do you mean 'it's easier than you think'?" I cut myself off as I realised Courf's strange word choice.

"I've had Gav staying over many a time and you, Lilette, and father, were none the wiser" he smirked.

"You're telling me you managed to smuggle a child into our home, feed him, have him stay over and nobody noticed?!" My eyebrows shot up in shock.

"Well, I didn't say nobody noticed... Anita did" he bit his lip, I noticed his face soften and his voice lighten when he said her name. When we were growing up, she helped out her mother around the house from the age of ten so we were all best friends. We used to play together and as we got a bit older, I knew he had the hots for her, but it looks like more than a crush now...

"Hmm, and how did she notice? Have you been spending quite a lot of time with Anita?" I teased.

"Well, she's the maid... so she's every where... nothing gets past her" he fumbled over his words a bit.

"Hmmm... I guess so..." I trailed off, letting my imagination run wild of what Courf's feelings where towards the girl. Anita was very beautiful, I had always been jealous of her looks growing up, although, come to think of it, our hair and eyes are the same colour, but she has a natural tan, that makes her skin glow and creates a sunny smile.

"I'll take Gav" I tried to take the sleeping soldier from Courf but he quickly turned away.

"No you won't!" He looked offended.

"And why not?" I crinkled my brows.

"Because he's a boy! He can't sleep with a girl! That's weird!" He took a step back, wrapping a protective hand around Gavroche's head.

"Ugh, grow up, Courfeyrac!" I stressed to him.

"It's just as bad, if not worse he spends the night with a grown man!"

"But I'm like a brother to him!" He shouted, making Gavroche stir in his sleep, that little boy really could sleep like a log.

"And I'm like a mother to him" I practically growled at him. Although I did not shout nearly as loud as Courfeyrac, I definitely had more of an effect on him than he had on me as he reluctantly handed over Gavroche... I went mama bear on his timid arse.