The Exchange

Serena sat down with Maggie and Olivia at dinner and caught them up on everything that had happened. She told them that Marcus was just being an arse and Oliver got a little too protective. She didn’t mention that he knows her secret. When they returned to the common room, Serena flopped onto one of the leather couches and just felt drained. It had been a long day and she was going to need a full night’s rest to recover.

“Want to play a game of Exploding Snap?” asked Olivia as she headed over with a deck of cards. Serena shook her head.

“I think I might go to bed,” said Serena. “I’m drained.”

“Okay,” said Olivia. “What are you doing tomorrow?”

Serena didn’t get to answer because Malfoy had burst into the common room looking frantic.

“SIRIUS BLACK!” he yelled. “HE’S IN THE CASTLE!”

“What?” screeched Maggie. Every student in the common room had stood up and was staring at Malfoy with worried expressions.

“The Gryffindors can’t get into their common room. Sirius Black tried to break in. I think they have to sleep in the Great Hall. It’s wonderful, isn’t it?”

“Malfoy, how do you know this?” asked Serena.

“Peeves,” he said. “I’m going back to laugh at them, anyone care to join?”

Malfoy’s joy was interrupted by Professor Snape who had just entered the common room. The nervous chatter of the Slytherin students had died down as everyone waited patiently to hear what Professor Snape had to say.

“You are all to be inside the Great Hall in ten minutes. You’ll be sleeping there tonight. Don’t ask questions, just do it. Make haste!” said Professor Snape as he spun around and left. Maggie, Olivia and Serena quickly ran up to their dorm with the rest of the Slytherins. They had changed into their pajamas, grabbed some blankets and headed back to the Great Hall.

Professor Dumbledore was standing with the rest of the teachers. The Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were already there looking just as confused as the Slytherins.

“The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle,” said Dumbledore. “I’m afraid, that for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances of the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbances should be reported to me immediately.”

Serena scanned through the crowd of Gryffindors and spotted Oliver standing next to Fred and George. Professor Dumbledore waved his wand and hundreds of purple sleeping bags filled the hall.

“Sleep well,” said Dumbledore before he left the hall.

Suddenly everyone seemed to rush over to the Gryffindors and find out what happened. Serena sprinted over to Oliver and hugged him.

“Thank goodness you’re all right,” she said as she squeezed him. “What happened?”

“Well you know the entrance to our common room is the Fat Lady’s portrait, right?” Serena nodded. “Apparently Sirius Black tried to break in and attacked her. She refuses to return to her portrait.”

“But – how did he get into the castle?” asked Serena worriedly. “If he’s here…he can easily get to me!”

“But, if he was after you, why would he try and break into the Gryffindor common room?” asked Oliver.

“I don’t know…maybe he doesn’t know where the Slytherin common room is. How do they expect us to sleep here with all this going on?”

“Calm down, Serena,” said Oliver pulling her close. “You’re safe here.”