3. The Sorting

Y/N's POV

Once we arrived at Hogwarts we were led up the stairs and told to wait outside what I assumed to be the Great Hall. I was still in awe of my surroundings and was trying to take it all in. When I was waiting outside, I stood near Hermione and the people she was standing with, not really engaging in conversation.

A tall witch was standing with us and started speaking, her name was Professor McGonagall.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall, "the start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house Common Room.

The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

When she left I stood still, still staying quiet. I only turned around when I heard none other than Draco Malloy insulting Ron. I didn't like Draco, I had met him once as a child and never really thought he was a nice person.

"Draco, how about you just shut your mouth for once in your life." I said rolling my eyes.

He turned around and looked at me with disgust. "If it isn't L/N, not surprised you're sticking up for Weasley. Blood-traitors stick together right?"

Before I could say anything, Professor McGonagall reappeared. Draco smirked at me before looking away.

"Now form a line and follow me." McGonagall said.

I quickly lined up and followed her, we all started walking into the Great Hall and suddenly I became very nervous. As I walked in I looked around at the four tables, before looking at the front where all the teachers were. I kept my eyes forward the whole time.

After introducing the Sorting Hat and listening to its song, it was finally time to be sorted. The only time I paid attention was when Harry, Ron or Hermione were being sorted.

"L/N, Y/N." I heard McGonagall say. I walked up nervously and sat on the stool waiting for the hat to be placed on me.

"Ah, another L/N, I remember your brother. He's a Gryffindor, isn't he? You're different though, you have the brains to be in Ravenclaw but you also have the kindness of a Hufflepuff. Not to mention you would do very well in Slytherin."

"Please be Gryffindor..." I thought.

"You want to be in Gryffindor? But you would do so well in Slytherin, of course, you would want to be in Gryffindor, all your friends are there. Very well, must be..."

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat yelled before I took it off and started walking towards the table. I heard Fred, George and my brother cheer loudly and I couldn't help but smile.

After the sorting finished I heard Dumbledore say. "Let the feast begin!"

And magnificent plates of food appeared in front of us. I looked in awe before starting to eat whilst talking to people around me.

Once the feast was over, our Prefect, Percy Weasley led us to our Common Room. He stopped at a portrait of a Fat Lady and said very clearly. "Caput Draconis."

The portrait swung open to reveal a room covered in red to match the Gryffindor colours.

Percy showed both the boys and the girls where their dorm was and I was happy when I found out I was in the same dorm as Harry and Ron. We also had boys named Dean, Seamus and Neville all who I knew and spoke to during the feast. Our trunks were brought up and we could see on the side of our beds, our Gryffindor tie as well as other Gryffindor accessories.

That night I was staring at the top of my bed, it was a four-poster bed with red velvet curtains, excited for tomorrow. My first lessons at Hogwarts.