(1) - My Job?

You have to be kidding me. What am I going to do? She thought as she was informed by devastating news.

"Amanda, please tell me you are joking right now?" Autumn asked the blond co-worker trying to get a sense on what was happening to the company. "I'm not. I don't know if it's true but it's likely to happen."

Autumn gave her co-worker a reassuring smile, telling her everything would be okay. But deep down inside she was worried. She was worried she would lose her job. The job she worked so hard to get only to come crashing down. After working hard for six months, she couldn't believe it.

To many people, it seemed the time she spent at the company was short and it was easy for her to move on. The problem was she didn't want to. Change was something Autumn was always afraid of, the fear of not knowing what to do or where to go. It gave her the sense of uneasiness, something she was very uncomfortable with.

Autumn obviously wasn't happy with the company's downfall these past few months. She thought the CEO, Patrick Rivera, and the board of supervisors had it under control but she was wrong. She knew there was a chance the company would go under and now it has.

Rumors had spread around the office about the company's troubling state. It was known news by now. Employees were worried and scared that the company had to make cuts. By cuts, it meant letting go of valuable employees no matter what they did for the company.

Autumn was the most scared out of her co-workers. In her eyes, she was still the new, inexperienced coffee girl she was six months ago. Her chances were slim that she would stay. Something told her not to give up but the other part already knew the untold truth. She was waiting for the confirmation that clearly meant she was done here at River Industries.

With a bad feeling in her stomach, she went back to work. She anxiously typed on her computer and worked on the files, her boss placed on her desk that early morning.

I have to get this done. Don't worry about it. She chanted in her head to reassure herself or else she wouldn't get any work done.

Few hours had past since Autumn gave any thoughts on the matter at hand while her boss and several other supervisors had discussed who they were letting go. Unfortunately, they couldn't keep the devastating news to themselves as everyone in the office knew their supervisors were planning who would get the unfair end of the deal.

Guesses on who spilled the tea to the office was the new intern, Greg. By fault, Greg spilled the information about the company's downsize when he was delivering the confidential file to Mr. Jensen that stated the company's financial trouble. One of his peers gotten information and the rest was history.

By now it was four o' clock and Autumn was nearly finished only to hear a knock on the office door to see the floor's receptionist, Linda. "Hey, Autumn the boss wants to see you in his office. He said it was urgent."

"Okay," Autumn relied, nerves erupting in her stomach. Linda walk away as Autumn headed towards her boss's office a few doors down.

With a huge lump in her throat, she knocked on the door. Patiently, she waited holding her hands together to stop her hands from shaking.

"Come in. It's open." Autumn nervously stepped in, a dark pit forming in her stomach. She usually wasn't called in unless there was a problem.

"You may take a seat, Miss Black," Her fifty year old boss said as Autumn took a seat on the cream simon club chair.

"Miss Black, I am aware about the astonishing work you have done for the past months," He holds up a folder in his hands, showing her resume and all the medical files she had. Autumn tilted her head in confusion, questioning why her boss was holding her confidential files. Her boss, Mr. Ray, coughs awkwardly breaking the air. Not wanting anything to do with this conversation but he doesn't have a choice.

He smiles down in pity at Autumn, not wanting to break the young girl's heart with the news but he had to. "Miss Black, are you aware about the company's social standing?"

Autumn nods her head yes. She didn't like where the conversation was going. Parts of her knew what was coming but other parts couldn't face the facts.

Mr. Ray had a hard time explaining the news because although he didn't know Autumn personally he knew she was the most cherished co-worker out of the staff. She was very hard-working, and determined, good qualities in a employee. From what he knew, she always had a smile on her face, her aura bright and kind that it made everyone smile when she entered a room.

But sadly due to budget cuts the company had to let her go. Mr. Ray fought hard to keep the young intern but due to lack of time and experience he couldn't do anything, especially against his superiors.

"Miss Black, I am sorry but the company cannot afford to keep you and because of this we have to let you go." The older man murmured, hating every moment telling the young woman of the news. He had at least twenty more employees to fire today and he was not having it. Each second made him feel restrained and guilty. Guilty that each of his employees where going home with no reassurance of a paycheck next week.

"Oh," She uttered, her mood changing into disappointment and sadness. She looked up at her boss, no former boss, and saw pity in his eyes. She didn't want him to feel guilty, it wasn't his fault that he had to do this. She swallowed the lump in her throat, hoping not to break in front of him.

"I understand, Mr. Ray. I will hand in my resignation in and pack my things." She heads for the door before turning back at Mr. Ray, "Mr. Ray, don't feel bad it happens." She smiles at him, leaving Mr. Ray touched and him hoping wonderful things in the future for the young women.

~

Okay

Okay...first chapter of Me and Mr. Billionaires son. I'm so excited  I have been wanting to write this book for so long now. I have so many ideas for this book.

Anyways...Until next time....

Love, The Author

-Katherine