Thomas gritted his teeth. "All I want to know is who this Y/n person is."

Minho grimaced, muttering something incoherent that sounded like "You're too curious for your own good," before pursing his lips together.

"Y/n," he sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Was the best thing that ever happened to the glade. She'd always sort out fights, and even got along pretty well with Gally." (Thomas nearly choked at that comment)

I'm gonna hold you,
Like we're saying good-bye

Minho ignored him and continued. "She was runner, you know, pretty darn fast too. Almost faster than me. She was a sassy, determined thing, but she still always managed to help out at the glade. She was sort of a this and that person. She was a runner, helped out with cooking, tended to the garden, patched up injured gladers at the med-jack hut. She was also a kind of mother figure to Chuck. And she had the most beautiful, amazing personality and-"

"Was she your girlfriend?"

Minho spluttered to a stop at this. He stared at Thomas, almost smirking in amusement. The runner scoffed, and raised an eyebrow at Thomas. "My girlfriend? Please. Y/n didn't belong to anyone but herself."

I won't take you for granted

"That's not true!" Chuck piped up indignantly. Minho glared at the boy, but it was too late. Thomas had noticed, and his curiosity was piqued up even more than before.

"Chuck," he coaxed softly. "What were you trying to say?"

Chucked glanced nervously at Minho, before biting his lip. "W-well, um, we're sort of forbidden to talk about this, but I think you deserve to know. Y/n was... She was..."

'Cause we'll never know when, when we'll run out of time

"Chuck," Minho warned, staring at the young boy angrily. "You know why it's been forbidden for us to speak about. We swore an oath. Now shut you shank mouth-"

"-Y/n was dating Newt!" Chuck spurted out, a little too loudly.

Minho let out a small sound of alarm, checking the other tables for Newt. The second in command was sitting at a table with Alby not too far away from them. Apparently the blond boy hadn't heard anything but his name, and looked at them questioningly.

So I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you

"I don't get it," Thomas said, crossing his arms. "Why is it such a big deal? Where's Y/n now? I didn't exactly see her name crossed out on the wall."

Minho looked down at the table, refusing to meet Thomas' eyes. "The big deal, shank, is that she was the pillar of the glade. She's one of the main reasons why Newt's still around today. When he... Jumped... She was right there to help him and bring him to the med-jacks."

"She would've have been able to help Clint and Jeff, except for the fact that she had been too busy crying over Newt. After that, they became closer than ever. She was the reason why most of us laughed and smiled in the glade. The big deal is that Y/n held the Glade together. The big deal, Thomas," Minho grabbed the front of Thomas' shirt and Minho pulled his face close to his. "Is that Y/n's gone."

I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you

"But... How?"

"I'll tell you, Greenie, but after this, I don't want anymore questions about Y/n. We all swore an oath to keep her story a secret to new Greenies, but I guess I'll have give you some answers," Minho sighed, running a hand through his hair.

Two years ago...

Giant, daunting grey clouds covered the sky above the Glade gloomily. All of the Gladers stayed indoors and under shelter, glancing nervously at the dark clouds above them. The team of runners that entered the Maze every day huddled in a small group in front of the humongous walls that were soon to be opened. Most of the team looked unsure about their run, except for Minho and a very determined-looking h/c girl.