105. Dreamless||Jojen Reed

Jojen jerked awake in a cold sweat

Jojen jerked awake in a cold sweat. He was tearing from his room and down the hall before Meera could get out of her own bed, even when she finally caught him he wouldn’t stop, insisting that he must get somewhere.

“I am so sorry.” Meera muttered when Jojen burst into a house and had the occupants jump at his sudden arrival.

“A girl, (Y/N) where is she?” Jojen asked and he was quickly shown to your room where you were locked in a nightmare. “They have been getting worse.”

“Yes Milord… how did you know?” A woman who was knelt beside your bed asked and he flinched.

“I’ve… been with her in her dreams just, they were never strong enough for me to figure out where she was.” He muttered and the woman smiled.

“She suffers with them a lot, I try to keep her safe but I can’t not in there.” She sighed and looked down at you as she stood, stroking your hair when you whimpered and struggled.

“Let me speak with my father, if he would allow it I am sure I could help her.” Jojen asked and Meera smiled as the family exchanged weary looks. “Please, I promise if it does not work I shall bring her back and there will be no repercussions.”

“If you think you can help her, please we will do anything it is just getting worse.” The woman smiled at Jojen who nodded, apologising for interrupting their night and hurried to think over what he was planning on saying.

“You are both exhausted, none of your plans work and she is giving up.” Meera pointed out as Jojen leant on the wall as he watched you string flowers together.

“I know that, but there is a way to help her I just haven’t found it yet.” Jojen glanced at Meera when she chuckled.

“You sound like a love-sick fool Jojen.” With that she pushed off and strolled away leaving her brother to think things over.

When night came, you were reluctant to go to sleep, your nightmares had gone from every now and then to every night, even some daydreams twisted into inescapable nightmares.

“I don’t want to sleep.” You whispered when Jojen crept into your room.

“I will be right here with you, I promise I won’t leave.” Jojen hushed, seeing that weather you wanted it or not, sleep would snatch you from him at any moment. “Please do not worry I am right here.”

You let him pull the blankets around you, your hand clutching his sleeve as you started to fall, suddenly finding yourself alone and falling as horrifying things twisted around you.

“Jojen you promised.” You gasped, Jojen heard it as a pleading murmur and pressed a kiss to your forehead, the grip on his arm so tight he thought you might break it.

“I am right here (Y/N), I haven’t left you, you just can’t see me.” He told you, slumping against the bed so quickly that if Meera hadn’t been on her way to check on your both she wouldn’t have caught him in time.

“Jojen?” you whimpered as he let you hide your face in his shoulder.

“It is alright (Y/N)), we’re at the river bend we passed a few days ago, see there are the birds you said you liked.” He smiled when you slowly pulled away and smiled.

“You did it Jojen.” You gasped and slumped to the floor as he knelt next to you.

“(Y/N) … I… I haven’t fixed it, this will end as soon as Meera wakes me.” He muttered as if it pained him to tell you. “You called me here it isn’t your dream it is mine.”

“When you wake will it go back to before?” You asked and he nodded unable to word it without his voice breaking. “Well never stop it.”

“I promised your mother I would help you stop your nightmares and I will, it may take a while but I will.” He promised and was suddenly gone.

“Jojen!” Meera gasped as he jerked up a little, glancing over at where you lay, squirming and fighting off imagined monsters.

“I lied to her Meera, there are two ways I can help her.” He mumbled which made his sister frown at him.

“Did you lie to keep her with you?” She asked curiously, being privy to the fact that you both liked each other but had no clue.

“No, nether of the ways I found are… pleasant.” He admitted and sighed when she helped him stand with a quizzical look. “I can do what I have been doing and let her call me to her dream but stay there… I would never wake again and it is possible that she wouldn’t either.”

“The other one.” Meera snapped, discarding the slightest hope of the first idea being used.

“I can stop her from dreaming at all, no dreams in her sleep, no day dreaming… no dreams at all.” He mumbled the last part as he glanced at you.

“Why can’t you do that one?” She sighed and hurried to tuck you back up when you flailed and threw the blanket away.

“Because it may well destroy who she is and I don’t want to do that to her.” He confessed.

“I will be ok.” You insisted. Jojen frowned but let you go to you room after whishing Meera a good sleep. It had been a month since he managed to fix your dreams, finding a middle ground between his two solutions but something was still off and he was worried that his attempt hadn’t worked.

“Are you planning to invade her dreams again?” Meera sighed, rolling her eyes when he nodded and rubbing his shoulder fondly. “I will sit with you until you wake but she is better, we should be getting some sleep too.” She pointed out.

Jojen glanced around as he entered your dream to find nothing. All that your dream consisted off was a bench where you sat staring forwards into nothing but white light.

“(Y/N)?” He asked and hurried to sit next to you.

“Jojen… You didn’t have to… I told you my dreams are…” you stuttered but he just frowned and shook his head.

“(Y/N) this is just as bad as the ones before, they may not be as frightening but you could get stuck in your own head you should have told me.” He grumbled, leaning forwards when you tried to hide your face.

“It is better to be dreamless and get some sleep.” You mumbled to your hands and regret washed over Jojen’s face.

He wanted to say something, offer to show you dreams of his own or share his sights without you but he couldn’t, all you wanted was to sleep after so long of battling through the nightmares.

“You don’t have to go.” You mumbled when his hand seemed to move to your leg and stroke circles into it without him noticing.

“I can stay… for a little while.” He promised, watching your face carefully as you smiled before looking away from him shyly.

“Thank you Jojen.” You whispered with a small smile.