Chapter 15

Classes started three days later than planned so we could have a memorial for Mason. Dimitri held me throughout it all. I had my second molnija ceremony two days later, but the excitement and curiosity- from all the novices- of last time was replaced by hugs and 'we're here for you's. I was glad they'd grown-and sobered- up. Eddie watched over me like a hawk and Dimitri sat with me through classes. No one argued against it- he was the one I needed by my side and everyone knew why.

Over the next month Lissa came off her magic controlling med's to work with Adrian. Not the only person we'd "acquired", my mother was also staying indefinitely. At my next scan it was revealed Bubby was a she. I also accompanied Mom to her three month scan. I turned into a "Rose Hathaway shell". Only Dimitri's love, my growing unborn daughter, and my engagement ring reminded me there was hope.

Another month passed and Adrian got me and Liss into Victor's trial. He was found guilty. Dimitri and I decided on our daughter's name- "Jaici Vasilisa Belikov." Jaici was growing faster than the normal rate and her due date was days-not weeks- away. I moved into Dimitri's room as we could fit a compact nursery in it. She had impeccable timing. Arrived three weeks before field experience- enough time to get back in form. I had a bond with her that meant I could tend to her before she cried. She was perfect and lit up my day. She was a beautiful mix of Dimitri and I. Everyone who met her loved her but no one could love her more me, and Dimitri.

When field experience started I was assigned to Christian- for Lissa's sake more than mine. I was warned ahead of time and, due to Jaici, had altered conditions- to mirror my post-graduation expectations. Jaici would always be with me and night shift meant moving her into Christian's room. I had been feeding her in Christian's culinary science class on day one, when Dimitri came in to see how everyone was working to guard the class. He came over to me and asked "how's she holding up? Got your shield up?" Then added, "good job with still keeping an eye out."

"She's doing well- the bond helps. Yes, the shield is up- over the whole class- I let you through. And thanks."

"Good job," he kissed my cheek, then Jaici's forehead and lovingly stroked her little forearm before leaving.

"Aww. You're too cute. What did you mean by bond? And shield?" Christian asked.

"I have a two-way bond with her. Like Lissa's. Spirit shield- invisible and impenetrable force field. It developed over Christmas when the bond started." I was starting to burp her while still keeping the shield around the class and scanning for danger.

"Here. Let me do that- take a break."

"Thanks. She burps best with you and Dimitri." I handed my little girl and a towel over to Christian then returned to typical guarding conditions.

Jesse came over "you're going to end up just like your mother if you keep handing her over you know." Lovely!

"You wanna try doing four things at once while having two other people's emotions bombarding you?" He paled. "Thought not."

Christian handed Jaici back while asking "much better Rose?"

I cradled her and kissed her little forehead. "Yup. She's all clear. Thanks Uncle Christian," I smiled.

"No worries. She's beautiful."

"Jeez Ozera. It's made you f**king soft."

"Language Zeklos!" Christian chastised.

"Jesse. You will not swear in front of my little one," I said in my soft voice, looking him in the eyes and adding a little compulsion.

"I won't swear in front of Jaici," he repeated but not in a way that would make anyone suspect. Well, Jaici would feel it but wouldn't know what it was. Yet. Then I'll likely get hell when she's older.