Chapter 10

I slept most of the car ride and nearly slipped due to ice on the pathway. Dimitri told me to return to the car and I did, I watched him inspect and open the door. I got out and cautiously moved around to the back door, and nearly tripped on a stake. Shit! I thought, humans must have broken the wards. The glass door joining the patio and living room were smashed. I carefully moved through to the living room. I was met with multiple dead bodies- children and Art Schoenberg included. I didn't realise I was about to scream until Dimitri kissed me to stifle it.

He grabbed the stake I'd nearly tripped over asking "this isn't yours is it?"

"No. It pierced the wards."

"Come on. Let's put into practice the theory of how to deal with this situation." Looks like I'm getting tested. I got all the same conclusions Dimitri did. He called a veritable SWAT team and we waited in the car. I was cuddled on his lap, his hands around my waist, mine around his neck. "This changes everything doesn't it?" I asked as I buried my face into his neck. He kissed my cheek to make me look at him. "Yes, it does milaya." I watched the team as they went through the evidence examination process. We left the Badica house a few hours later and the school was a buzz with the news once Dimitri and I had returned. I found Liss in the library as classes had wrapped up and Dimitri relieved me of training. "I can't believe humans staked the wards. And a group that big?"

"It's true Liss" I sat down and joined them "I was the one who found the stake. Dimitri had taken me there expecting to see Art Schoenberg for my qualifier."

"What?!" she squeaked "you saw all that blood and gore?"

"Yes Liss."

"Oh god Rose. Are you ok?"

"She's Rose Hathaway, of course she's fine" Christian kissed her cheek.

"Actually, I'm kinda shaken at the moment. But I'll recover- don't stress over me."

"Sure?"

"I'm a guardian- I have to be."

Christian started going all lovy-dovey with Liss."I'm gonna leave before you two rip each others clothes off."

"Sorry" Liss blushed.

"All good" and left.

The next morning the school was still buzzing about the attack, but something about a ski trip came up more often. I asked Mason at lunch and his response "get ready for me to whip your ass on the ski slopes. We're going 'cause everyone's scared after the attack."

"Hmmm. That damn attack. Not a sight I'm keen to see again for a while."

That earned me a "you were there?!"

"Yes. I was supposed to see Schoenberg for my qualifier."

"What?!" Squeaked Eddie.

"Forget I mentioned it. Be glad you haven't seen that yet. Now Mase about you beating me on the slopes- not gonna happen. You don't know what I got upto while away- ski and skating lessons were a Christmas pressent from Liss."

"Well hot damn!"

"Hmmm. Thought that'd shut you up."

"We leave the day after Christmas" Eddie informed me.

"For how long?"

"Two weeks."

"Hmmm." Oh god. I ran to the toilets and everything I'd eaten made a reappearance. I never get sick, injured yes, never sick- not even food poisoning and I'm trained not to reflex react to gore. "No" I whispered. "Can't be." I thought about it more, shadow kissed and I was late, increase appetite. Uh oh. I've got to send myself to the clinic.

"Dr Olendzki."

"Rose, what is it?"

"Umm. Well. I think I may be pregnant."

"Oh. Come on through." I told her the symptoms and even that the father was a dhampir and suspected being shadow kissed had made this possible. She ran a blood and stick test- both positive.

"Rose? Who's the dad?" She asked and I clammed. No way is she getting that info from me. I shook my head. "No. No way am I telling."

"Rose" she warned, "I have to at least pass this much onto Alberta and Kirova".

"Fine. But I'm still not giving you his name."

"Alright. Let's do an ultrasound." We did. "You'll have to take it easy on the ski trip- you'll be three months and showing. I'll talk to Alberta and you to Belikov about changing your training. Now go." She gave me prenatal vitamins and an appointement in a month.

I was late for training- seeing the doc had chewed my class time and then some. "Rose? What's going on?" He asked as I walked in the door with a smile on my face.

"We need to talk. I need you to keep and open mind. I have something to show you."

"Roza you're worrying me. I'll try and keep an open mind."

"Thank you. Sit. This is big and your reaction will likely make a big impact on how I feel about this. At the moment I'm happy, despite the problems it'll create, I'm happy. Still a bit in shock but over-the-moon happy." I pulled my phone out and pulled the ultrasound picture up.

"What's that?" He asked gently.

"Remember I'm shadow kissed and you're the only one I've slept with." I handed over the phone. He looked at it and his face was priceless. He gasped.

"Ours? Our baby?"

"Yes. Ours. Daddy."

He engulfed me in a hug. "Mommy!" He exclaimed kissing my cheek. "Thank you milaya. You don't know how happy you've made me. You've given me everything."

"I think I know. What about my training though?" I sobered.

"Lighten the load- literally on everything. Just keep general fitness up."

"The doc has Alberta altering my classes."

"Hang on. If you're already two months along you'll be showing by ski trip."

"Yup. Not worried- I'll be a mom by grad" it wasn't phasing me.

"Looks like we need to go shopping."

"Is it possible?"

"I'll get you off campus- leave it in my hands."

"Ok. Are we training?"

"As if- go get a nap and I'll get that pass and meet you at dinner." I got my nap. As promised Dimitri got me at dinner.