Chapter 8

"Why do they act like I'm some kind of big hero?! I freaking killed a friend who turned! They don't get it! Tell them to leave me alone! Not even Mason and Eddie will stop questioning me about it!" I was over it- it had been weeks and it still hadn't gotten through the novices head killing a Strigoi isn't easy. It's tough and painful. It's gory, not glorious. I had killed a friend, could none of them comprehend how hard it was not to hesitate in that situation?! I would have been royally screwed without the training Dimitri had given me and if he had taken my stake back. I was in morning training with Dimitri and fuming and working on new transitions between kills on the dummies. "Talk to them Dimitri- take over class this morning lesson one and two. Not even Stan will stop haranguing me over it- from "wow, of all the students" to "you got lucky" and "it's not easy making a real kill" to "you can all probably do it- we've prepped you to be able to." Ugh someone needs to knock them off their high horses."

"Rose! Stop. Look at me milaya" it was a direct order I couldn't refuse. I stopped and looked him in the eye. "Enough. You're going to do more damage than good. I'll come to breakfast and try and talk sense into Ashford and Castile. I'll also intervene in your classes. Today. Come on, let's have a shower and head off to breakfast." he whispered the shower part in my ear seductively. I shivered in anticipation.

"You mean that?" I whispered back.

"It's time."

And we did just that. "I love you Dimitri" I said with a tender expression on my face after we we had reached our release.

"I love you too milaya." He responded and started washing my hair. "I also love that expression you get on your face at moments like these- I live for it."

He finished washing my hair and we got semi dressed. I was in my jeans and bra and he was in his pants when he offered "do you want me to braid your hair?"

"Sure. I'm sick of ponytails to hide that molnija." And with that he carefully worked my hair into a braid.

"Beautiful and perfect- just like you" he kissed my mark then my cheek by leaning over my shoulder.

"Thanks. Now let's go!" I was excited to eat.

"You know I get exactly what your feeling? I get the pain, the anguish, the trauma. You don't get over your first kill easily and you had it twice as hard. It took me 4 kills to learn how to deal with the aftermath. The trauma is part memories of what happened, but it's also mainly fear about what could have been. Each kill is a near death experience and you're right, no novice is ready, none of them would have been able to do it. You're so young- you shouldn't have to go through that. I just wish it was my kill- meaning my burden to carry. Not yours."

"You don't need that extra burden. I'll deal with it."

"We'll deal- I'm your mentor, part of my duty is to help you with the fallout of something like this. And I have a feeling things are only gonna get worse."

We entered the cafeteria and grabbed some food. "I can't believe you eat twice as much as me" Dimitri commented.

"You forget my appetite is legendary" I rebutted as we sat down.

"Too true."

"Dimitri you've seen me battle it out with these two lovable fools, now meet Mason and Eddie. You two know this guy beside me as guardian Belikov- the living legend, now meet him as Dimitri, my mentor."

"Ashford and Castile I'm gonna try and talk some sense into you about the aftermath of a kill- especially one like Roses' and what she's going through. Firstly the mark is not a badge of honor, not really- more like an unwelcome reminder." He continued, covering everything we'd discussed over time.

"Sorry Rose, if it was you I'd hesitate. Forgive me?" Mase said solemnly.

"Forgiven."

"Same goes for me. Sorry Rose. Forgive me?" Eddie added.

"You're forgiven too, Castile."

"You okay? Should I leave?" Dimitri asked gripping my shoulder.

"Yeah. But don't you dare think about leaving Dimitri Belikov- sit right there and finish your food!" I commanded.

"Fine" he huffed. Mason and Eddie broke into a fit of laughter at that. Mason saying "she's got you wrapped around her little finger- you're totally whipped Belikov!"

"Yup- I think she runs trainings!" Eddie piped in. Both were still in hysterics.

"You know I think you may be right Castile- the only way to put up with her. And Ashford- she has you wrapped around her little finger too- you're so whipped." Dimitri responded.

"Hey, I'm right here you guys! Not funny!" I interjected. All three laughed at that- even Dimitri, god damn it.

We finished breakfast and headed off to class together.