Chapter 9

When we got to class Dimitri talked to Alberta about shutting the novices up about me. She eventually turned to the class "listen up! Guardian Belikov is going to talk to you about the severity and toll of the first kill you will ever make!" She boomed. He came to join her and stand infront of the class. "As you know" he started. Uh oh I hope he knows what he's doing. "My student Rose Hathaway has made her first kill. Rose- will you come here please?" I went and joined him, "comrade" was my warning. He put his hands on my shoulders and spun me to face my classmates- his hands staying on my shoulders. "Rose here had to face Strigoi Natalie- a friend. The hardest possible first kill, or any kill. I have faced and killed 6 Strigoi- none I've known. Her extra hours with me was what earned her a stake. It was that and her remarkable ability to see Strigoi Natalie as an object, and not hesitating that saved her. If she'd hesitated she'd be dead. The trauma of a kill is not just about what happened, but what could have happened." His hands were now on my upper arms, inconspicuous to the others but reassuring to me and was all that kept me from cowering.

"No one is ready for their first kill- no one. If you think you can beat a Strigoi, or even Rose or me raise your hand." Eddie's and Mason's were the only ones that didn't.

"Alright then" I took over, things were gonna get interesting- I would knock that chip off their shoulders, "you asked for it! Dimitri- how about a demo?"

"Sure." He looked at the class and I went to stand in the middle of the gym. "Now, over the last few weeks you may not have noticed she has not been beaten by Ashford and Castile. I'm about to let you know and see why. She knows almost all my moves, counter-moves, combinations and how to block or evade them. She knows how often I change up my actions, how much I think on my feet- she has learnt to do the same." He came to join me in the middle of the gym. "She's nearly as strong as me, certainly faster. But be warned- she knows how to use someone's height and weight against them."

"Don't hold back" I said loudly enough for the class to hear and turned to face the side wall.

"I never do" Dimitri told the class and turned to face me.

We went into battle mode and the fun began. He didn't hold back, but I eventually got him pinned and declared "dead" when my hand went over his heart. I stood up and helped him up. We were breathing deeply but hardly panting or sweating- we were used to these sorts of battles. We turned to face the class and Alberta chimed in with "if you still think you can beat her come and try. They've hardly broken a sweat."

I sparred with Meredith and she was pinned and "dead" within seconds. "Focus Mere" I said loudly enough for the class. The same happened with the next two guys. I couldn't believe how cocky they were, or how unfocused- we were months away from having someone life or death in our hands. The next guy I sparred with was focused but couldn't change his moves or combinations. "Predictable!" I announced to the class after fighting him for two minutes. At this Dimitri jumped in "Rose, how 'bout we go through a fight in slow motion?" I caught on to what he was saying- show them "our moves".

"Sure comrade. I think they should see how it's really done." And did we show them- using hardly any of the curriculum moves etc. When we were done Dimitri turned to them and said "spotted the difference yet?" One person raised their hand, "you two used almost no moves we know- how is that possible?"

"Exactly. I've learnt most of them in battle and were the only way I survived" Dimitri responded.

"I've used them countless times against Mase and Eddie and they still haven't learnt how to block or use them against me. I used most of them against Strigoi Natalie and it was all that saved me from a concussion, broken bones and other serious injuries. Strigoi don't fight fair, they'll use moves you have no idea about how to react to and the most certainly won't play by the rules. In the real world it's a free for all. They'll see you as prey- prey that will fight back, but prey nonetheless. You need to be the predator!" I extended.

"She's right" Alberta said, "in period 3 I'll have you analyse the security footage. Dismissed- guardians as well. Rose, Belikov stay." All did as directed and when it was only Alberta, Dimitri and I remained I looked at Dimitri "Dimitri" I pleaded, he knew what I was asking for- he always did. "Come here Rose" he opened his arms and I gladly took up the gesture, wrapping my arms around his torso, burying my head in his chest. Class had taken it's toll and I needed my sanctuary.

"Rose, Dimitri. I'm glad to see this. This is a time for you to be Rose and Dimitri, not student and mentor. In times like this she needs you, not a tough-love mentor that only talks. Comfort her when it's safe and needed" Alberta said, face relaxed. Dimitri and I looked at each other then at her.

"I can see you two have something special, I don't want details. Just look after each other. It's not my place to take that away from you- especially you Rose."

"Thank you" Dimitri and I replied in unison.

"One other thing- in period 3 you two can go for a run or use the machines or both."

"I'll think about it" I responded.

"You two head to your next class. Belikov- the class is slightly changed student wise, I suggest you give them a talking to as well. Knock Alto off that high horse of his." With that we left.

Period 2 went in a similar fashion with Dimitri and I trying to rid them of the chip on their shoulder. Period 3, and Alberta delivered. She had the security footage and the class dissected it. Dimitri and I went for a run. He suddenly stopped and turned in front of me and when I nearly slammed into him he pushed us onto the grass, straddling me. He looked around and when the coast was clear, kissed me. I didn't hesitate in returning it. It was deep and hungry and full of love and passion. We pulled away panting. "You are amazing milaya. I love you moya krasavita" he said still panting.

"I love you too comrade" I replied huskily.

"Come on- let's work on the machines" he picked us up.

"Damn your responsible side" I laughed.

"You love it" he teased.

"Damn Rose! I knew Belikov was working you to the max but didn't expect you'd turn out that amazing" Mason gushed in awe at dinner, but I heard an echo of what Dimitri had said in period 3. It clicked- Mase actually loved and worshipped me, but he didn't affect me the way Dimitri did. Think of the devil and he shall appear. "Rose we need to go. It's time for your qualifier."

I turned to face him "really? Now?"

"Yes it's a five hour drive and we're expected."

I turned to the guys "see ya!"