Class

{Oka's POV}

I got into the back seat of my Yeemoh* Cherry's car. My feet touched the black duffel bag on the floor. I picked it up and set it next to me.

"How's the farm?" Cherry asked, starting the car.

"The same. .full of corn and cows. . ." I replied.

"Tch, hasn't changed," Cherry smiled and drove off.

A large animal came out from under one of the seats and jumped onto the one next to me. She looked up at me and meowed, then she curled up on one of my thighs and relaxed. I looked up at my Yeemoh.

"Why is she here?"

"Oh, the cat wouldn't leave me alone so I just put her in the car. She calmed down when she saw your duffel bag, I guess she missed you," she replied.

I looked down at my pet and gently stroked her fur. She was grey, fluffy, kinda. . .well, fat. Her eyes were murky green, and small. She's five years old, and cute. I named her Midnight. And nicknamed her Meatball. She started to purr. 

"You can take nap, honey, it's gonna take awhile to get to your ballet school," Cherry said looking at me through the rearview mirror.

"Alright. .just wake me up. . ." I replied.

I shifted a little, and fell asleep.

It took a bit for Midnight to let me go in alone. I had to keep putting her back in the car. But I got inside. 

I was a little late, everyone was doing stretches. I changed quickly, and joined them. We did a few exercises before getting onto the real dances. We're doing swan lake. I'm the lead. . . Odette.

It was only about three months ago we had been assigned to our character roles. Our ballet teacher put up a sheet on the bulletin board and everyone flocked over to see which role they've gotten. I expected my role to be a background character. Maybe a little swan, but nothing more. I'm very short in height, so I wasn't exactly able to see with everyone towering over the sheet. But when they read it they all looked at me, and parted, like Moses parted the sea, for me to read. I read every role until I got to the lead. There was my name clear as day. My heart sank. I walked to the beam and stretched. I didn't say anything, I didn't smile, I didn't cheer. I just wanted to be left alone.

I asked my sensei why I was the lead role. I wasn't good enough for that. But she told me I was. That I looked timid and sad like Odette. I guess I look the part? I mean. . I'm really ugly. She could've picked any other student at the school, they were all gorgeous and tall and better than me. She kept telling me how beautiful of a dancer I was. I didn't know whether to believe her or not. I've always been told I'm replaceable. Maybe hard work is paying off? I don't know. But ever since that day, I've dedicated my free time and class hours to perfecting my role.

Prince Siegfried was a boy, the only boy in our class, named Mikami. He was sweet. Not very much of a looker, but he was decent. He was an amazing dancer. He can tap dance too. Dancing with him was pretty interesting. He did things a little fast and sometimes I had to correct him. But he soon learned the steps so everything went smoothly.

I got to take breaks and watch the other dancer's routines. We're collaborating with another ballet school across town. The dancers were gorgeous as well. I really am an ugly duckling. The rest of the students in our school were swans, the one's in the other school were party guests and suitors.

The ballerinas that came from Akademi High were Mai, the Basu sisters, Yui and Akane. She was very open about her ballet besides the rest of us. I've been with Mai ever since I started dancing, but we were in different schools until a few years ago. We weren't competitive, we were just really kind to each other. I'd straighten her arms, and she'd put my chin up. We supported each other, which we really needed with all the pressure put on us. We never talked at school though, we never really had the time. But we kept in touch.

Mai, Inkyu, Sakyu, and Akane were the four little swans. Even though Mai was tall. I told her she would've been a big swan. She agreed, but whatever our principal wants. As I massaged my feet and fixed a fold on my pointe shoe, I watched the girls dance. They've gotten so much better, and Sakyu can keep the beat. But her pointe shoes were loud. We can't have that. When she was done dancing, I called her over.

"You needed me?" the vampire asked.

"Yeah, can I see your points shoes?" I asked.

She sat next me and untied her one of her shoes. "What for?"

I gently took it out of her hands and took one of mine. I tapped mine first, then hers. "You're shoes need to be softer, otherwise it'll distract you."

"Oh. Thanks, Oka!" She smiled. I could kinda see her fangs.

She took her shoe and went to a dent in one of the walls. There's a picture frame that says:

Pointe Shoe Softener

and started to beat her shoes into the dent. It did the trick.

It was all of the students' turns now. 

Von Rothbart was played by Yui. We dont really have any history. She's just really mean. I've heard her whisper about me. I've overheard her call me weird, evil, emo, disgusting, some slurs here and there too. And when she'd get nice, everyone would be on edge. She was taller than me. I'd say 5'2". I was 4'11". For this, she went in ballet flats instead of pointe. She sat next to Mai who sat next to me. We were all stretching and making small adjustments to our shoes. Every now and then, Yui would say something crude to Mai about me. Mai would give her a look and then tell me what she said. Really, I was just tired of it. I don't complain anymore, I just nod and let it be.

We've been pretty cooperative together despite the rude comments. I hope it stays that way and she won't purposely drop me on stage.

Even though I've been told many damaging things, I really love my ballet classes.

Yeemoh Cherry picked me up after class, and I was greeted by Midnight. I picked her up and held her in my arms.

"How was class? You excited?" she asked.

"It was fine. .and no. . ." I replied.

"Why not?"

"I'm just terrified I'll slip or jump off the stage. . .maybe get caught on fire by the lights, forget steps, I don't know. . ."

"Hey, you're going to be great. You've been practicing for months now, there's no way you're gonna mess up. I'm proud of you for even making it this far."

The last sentence she said made me feel. . . Happy. It filled me with some encouragement.

"Thank you. . ."

My phone vibrated. I turned it on and say a message.

-1 unread message from Budo-

{*Yeemoh - formal way of saying Aunt in Korean; mother's sister}