Leaving Breeze

Sunday, May 14th

Dear Stanley,

My life officially has been destroyed.

I was walking out from the waterfall, consumed by my thoughts of you and the person you've become. I was a crying and dirty mess. My eyes were red and puffy and I was grimy from lying on the ground.

"Nicolas?"

It was Breeze. Breeze was walking to the waterfall as I was walking out. She saw my disheveled state and I was deeply embarrassed.

I tried to walk faster, pretending like I didn't hear her. I didn't want to talk to her. But she knew what I was doing.

"Nicolas. Don't act like you don't hear me. " She was serious, I could hear in her voice.

I froze in my spot and turned around to face her. She had a frown on her face.

"What's wrong?" She asked, quietly. I shook my head furiously.

We were standing in the field that lead to the woods. The sky was beginning to fade from an ombre of lemon pinks and yellows into a deep purple. I saw the shadow of the moon in the sky.

"It's nothing Breeze. I'm fine. Why are you here?"

"I was just coming here to hang out. And you're definitely not fine, but you don't have to tell me about it. Can I ask you one question?"

I nodded my head wiping my tears. "Go ahead."

"My grandma - I was talking about you to her - she said something. Something that your brother went missing. When I mentioned your name."

She must've seen the stricken expression on my face because she stopped talking. All the blood drained away. I wasn't in the mood to talk about you to her. Not right now out of all times.

But I couldn't explain that to her. My words were snatched from my throat. My vision was blurred. All I could think about was how I messed everything up.

I ruined everything with Mom.

I barely have anything with Dad.

And you. There was still the mystery to figure out what happened to you.

So I did what first came to mind. While Breeze was asking about you, I ran away.

Leaving her standing alone in the field.

"Nicolas! Nicolas wait! Come back!" I heard her yell after me. But her words were only spoken to the star speckled night sky. I didn't answer.

I ran.

I ran and I didn't look back.