Talking to Dad again

Saturday, April 20th

Dear Stanley,

Mom was out of the house, so me and Dad were sitting on the couch, lounging around with the T.V. playing some movie in front of us. We were both looking at the screen with a bowl of popcorn in our hands, but we weren't actually watching the movie. I noticed Dad has been staying at home a lot more.

"Son, turn the damn thing off. I want to talk to you." Dad suddenly said, turning to look at me. His appearance has definitely improved from after your disappearance Stanley. In fact, it looked like he gained weight and a healthy blush was in his cheeks. He didn't look much like me or Mom - the two of us still looked disastrous.

I obliged, turning the T.V. off, then waited for Dad to speak.

"Tell me, Nic. How have you been lately?"

"Fine."

He cocked a brow at me. "Really? Fine is all you are going to say?"

I shrugged. "I've been alright. It's just normal."

Dad nodded his head thoughtfully. "Well, I'll tell you how I've been feeling. I've been feeling like crap. Absolute crap. I feel like I need to restart. I feel like everything is crumbling to pieces and I'm just watching. I feel like I need to disconnect and recharge. That's how I'm feeling." He grabbed a handful of popcorn and shoved it in his mouth. I laughed.

"I guess I relate with the last part."

"Damn right you do. How's school going?"

I sigh. He always asks this question and I always give him the same answer.

"School is ok Dad."

School is actually very bad, but I don't tell him that.

"Ok? That's it? Did you make any friends yet?"

A gorgeous girl comes to mind.

"Yea, I did actually. Her name is Breeze."

Dad shoves himself of the couch when he hears that, shock on his face.

"Nicolas has a girlfriend! That explains why you've been moping around the house with that stupid smile on your face lately!" He yells as if he made an amazing discovery. I was slightly flattered that Dad even noticed that about me, I always thought he only noticed me when he had too. But Dad's a good guy. Not as bad as I thought and definitely way better than Mom.

I burn up, I'm sure my face is red with embarrassment.

"Dad! She's not my girlfriend. She's just a friend." I groan.

Dad smirk and rolls his eyes. "When I first met your mother, that is exactly what I told your grandma and grandad. That 'we're just friends'. Then we ended up getting married."

I laughed, thinking about their recent nasty fights lately. I debated on whether or not I should bring it up, when I noticed Dad's demeanor had changed. He looked sad.

"Your mom, she was an amazing lady." He said. He looked like he was going to cry.

My heart ached for what Mom and Dad used to be, two love-struck teenagers who thought they'd stay like that forever.

They didn't deserve this Stanley. They didn't deserve to be torn apart from each other because of you leaving.

"Dad. Mom is still here. She's still alive. Don't talk about her like that."

"She's changed though, Nicolas. We all have, after that boy... left. But she's becoming..."

He didn't finish his sentence and I didn't prod him to.

"Dad. Sit down." I instructed. He did.

"How is this Breeze girl? What's she like?" He questioned quietly.

I couldn't stop my own smile from making its way onto my face as I started listing the multitudes of adjectives to describe her. She was everything, from stunning to interesting to childish to mature - she was it all.

Dad chuckled once I finished. "Sounds like you have it real bad for this girl, son."

I was going to protest but then I stopped myself. It was true. I did have it real bad for her Stanley.

We spent the rest of the evening talking about little things that made us happy (avoiding all conversation on you and Mom) up until we heard Mom's car in the driveway. Horror filled Dad's expression and he bolted upstairs. It could've been amusing if it was a joke. But it wasn't a joke. Dad really didn't want to face her. And I guess I can understand why. I followed behind him.

"It was nice catching up with you Nic. But I think I'm going to go get ready. I have to go out tonight... to um, a meeting." Dad said once we were both on the second floor.

I nodded, about to say good night.

But before I did, I asked Dad one final question. A question that has been nagging me ever since you left, ever since you left without a note or goodbye.

"Do you think he'll ever come back?"

Dad paused as an unidentifiable emotion flickered across his face. I thought I saw anger in his expression and he glared at me.

"No son. I don't." He growled, just as my heart dropped in my chest. I always thought that if I wasn't the only one hoping, then the chances of you returning would be higher.

I was still standing in the hallway, trying to get my thoughts together, when I heard his bedroom door slam shut.