Chapter 19~A True Wolf

Mckayla

I stormed out of the room as Nina lingered behind me. I was naturally inpatient. We walked directly into the living room as Nina passed by me, sitting on the sofa. I stood crossing my arms over my chest, arching a brow. "You find anything?"

Bran pointed toward the few kids that played nearby. "Take them into a room," he ordered.

I eyed him curiously. He seemed comfortable with a leading role. I wondered his rank within the pack. He caught me staring, so I decided to voice my thoughts. "What's your rank?"

Bran smiled nonchalantly. "Second to Malcolm."

Malcolm poked his chest out further showing the dominance over Bran on cue. Bran snorted ignoring it.

Nina rolled her eyes. "Cullen is third and Sara is forth."

I kept my eye on Malcolm. He really believed he earned the right to be claimed as the next Alpha. Due to his rank, it would seem he could be the next, but he was not. This was not his pack to claim. I held back my snarl wanting to remind him of his place and how I outranked him by far but relaxed. I didn't need to prove anything. And I wasn't even claiming the position as Alpha.

After the kids were cleared out, the only ones that were left were the Weres who I expected to fight when we finally confronted General. Anyone who was going to risk their life needed and earned the right to be here.

Malcome spoke. "We found a scent several miles west of here; outside of pack territory."

I looked at him perplexed. "That's still in Arizona," I pointed out.

"Yeah, well...the Alpha gave up that part of land and other parts of Arizona. He said he didn't want to control so much when it was not so many of us." Nina frowned. "But I guess General blackmailed him for those lands too."

My voice rose with a growl. "He gave up territory?" I wasn't really asking a question. I grimaced disbelieving of that. I couldn't do anything about it now. As Alpha, I could. My father earned every mile of Arizona and gave it up without even fighting for it. If I decided to become Alpha I would change that. My father had weakened as an Alpha. It was a disappointment to know I came from a man who once held command and powered diminished to nothing.

Sadness was in my eyes and Nina noticed standing before I could hide my pain. She ran her hand up my arm. She was always trying to comfort me, in front of the pack no less. "He lost you because of his own actions and it destroyed him enough to be taken advantage of."

I gazed into her eyes nodding in understanding. I wanted to feel bad for him but I couldn't let myself feel that. I faced back to the rest. "Change of plans."

They all looked at me curious.

"We are training tonight. Everyone out in five minutes." This wasn't up for discussion.

Malcolm arched a brow and then turned to Bran before nodding to him and walking off. I was elated to have Malcolm not challenge me for once. I think I would have attacked him if he had.

Nina moved back to me, leaning her slender body into me as her arms wrapped around mid-back. Despite my nervousness, I let her linger close, mostly because I knew Nina liked it. I cared about her. That was always going to be the case rather I denied it or not. I think Nina knew how she affected me. Not just a few days ago I would have pulled her away from me. "Why are we training at night?"

She kissed my neck and I shuddered. I needed to breathe through that. My eyes couldn't help observing who was around, possibly watching Nina and I. "Aren't we wolves?" My expression was stern and serious. "We will be hitting General tomorrow night. It is sad many of our kind do not know how to fight in the night. Even as wolves, many don't use their senses fully. That's what the pack needs again. To be what we are. The moon gives us that extra strength. To be Weres."