Chapter 7~ Lies and Hidden Truths

Mckayla

I allowed myself to get drawn into her. We weren't the same two girls that could never do wrong toward one another; blind from the World. I lived through so much and changed and I would make it clear I was no longer oblivious to life and I could be a threat. If Nina wanted to mix it up with me, it would be strictly sex. Allowing her to get too close would be a mistake that could probably cost me my life. I had enemies who would see me weak.

I could see and smell Nina's pack as we approached her home. This place looked the same for the most part but it no longer felt familiar. They had surely been waiting for us as their eyes glared heavily. There was already tension in the air and I snarled lowly not wanting my wolf to take fully over just yet. My wolf could if she wanted to.

Most of the tension and their narrowed eyes were directed toward me. 'Breathe,' I told myself softly. My wolf was rumbling through my chest. Being stared at would not help my wolf calm down.

"Not all hate you," Nina said feeling my tension. "Many don't know the truth."

I ignored the attempt she was trying to make. I wouldn't feel any longing for them. "Their feelings against me don't matter. I don't give a damn what anyone here feels. But...I will not tolerate being challenged."

I presented myself posturing tall. My eyes harden, determine to get through this without shifting and trying to kill anyone. Or everyone, with how many dark glares I received.

"Nina," a young female about eighteen shouted. "I've missed you." The girl ran up, embracing Nina with a hug that lifted her from the ground.

I stared unsettled by the girl. I was her once. Bright and filled with happiness. Proud to be a part of a pack. And always happy to see Nina. Her hair was the same shade as mine with gray eyes. Beneath all her excitement I could see arrogance and dominance.

The girl looked my way. "I'm Rachel," she said with a cocky grin reaching her hand out to me. She stood straight and unafraid of me. Most werewolves never offered a handshake to me, afraid I'd squeeze too tight.

I looked at her hand, confused. It had been years since I gave a human gesture such as a handshake. She put her hand to the side frowning slightly and then looked at Nina, who smiled apologetically for my lack of response.

I felt naive for not simply giving the girl a handshake. I wasn't that ignorant to the old ways. Only a distant memory. I gazed over to the crowd watching me.

"Can we get started." I said annoyed. Nina had wanted to speak to her pack. I usually never stood before a pack. Not as human. I was given a task and did it at a distance for no werewolf to try and speak to me.

Nina nodded, seeing that I was ready to leave.

I heard whispers and I ignored them for the most part. I'm sure many were baffled to see me, while there were new faces wondering who I was.

"Listen up," Nina said commanding everyone to face her. She had no strong voice, but it was still captivating. People respected her and I assumed that was the only reason she stood as Prima now. "Many of you remember—"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Who gives a shit," one Werewolf shouted? A few laughed agreeably.

Perhaps, it was only the ones who mattered that respected her, after the random werewolf's outburst.

"You have been our Prima for two years and this is the first you've done something this dumb Nina." It was a woman who looked to be in her early thirties but smelled at least fifty years old.

Quickly everyone began agreeing, shouting in off pitch choruses.

"Our Alpha was killed," Nina tried to continue, failing again to command their attention. No matter who Nina was, it didn't take away the fact and reminder their Alpha was no longer here.