Chapter 16~Promises

Mckayla

Cullen dropped unconscious in front of the door all eyes on him.

It was never enough. It was never a moment of rest where lies could not come and fuck you over and everyone could live easily. Just more shit on my plate. Unwanted shit. What brought me here? What magnetic force drew me to accept this contract in killing the ones responsible for a man I once cherished? I'd concluded being emotionally involved the moment I said I'd come back to Arizona.

I paced demanding everyone into the house. The pack had gotten smaller over the years from what I can remember. I wasn't a part of this pack anymore, yet everyone listened.

Nina settled the pack down and slowly the anxiety in the house dropped. The temperature was hot and humid. Many frenzied and panicked. I heard growls cross through the house. Bran snarled, teeth gritted. I placed my hand over his shoulder. "Stand down." My eyes were bright gold.

It was no more than sixty in this pack alone. Too crowded in this house. A small portion of the Weres were around Rachel's age; some much younger.

Bran came out of the back room with Chris after placing Cullen into one of the rooms. He was badly injured and needed to heal fast. He looked as if attacked by a dozen men. Blood covered him like war paint. Deep open lesions over his entire naked body.

"What can we do?" One Were asked. "My mates pregnant. I can't—"

"None of you are going to die." I wasn't big on making promises but I knew I would kill every rogue before one of my wolves died. I shook my head reorganizing my thoughts. This wasn't my pack. None the less I would protect them. That was a part of my job.

"I will help you," Jace said.

I shook my head. "You have your own pack to worry about."

"My minds made up," he retorted.

Marie nodded. That was finalized. I sniffed and could taste Weres near. Not this pack.

"Chris, Marie, Bran and you two," I pointed. "Guard the perimeter of this house." I looked at Jace, Malcolm, and Sara. "Follow me."

"I'm coming too," both Nina and Rachel said in unison.

"No," I snarled. "Nina. You're not a dominant wolf."

"Don't remind me," she said dryly. "But I am Prima. I'm coming."

I snarled, rushing over to her. "I can't let you get hurt." I gazed deep into her eyes as if opening a small crevice of my heart. "Do you understand me? I can't."

Nina studied me a bit longer and sighed, nodding. "I understand."

I looked passed her to Marie, who was staring at us both. There was a look of envy in her eyes but she replaced it with respect for Nina. My eyes locked onto hers and I wish I had time to talk to her. I never wanted to hurt Marie or have her feel like I was using her.

"I'll keep her safe," Marie said. I knew she would.

I walked outside to Jace and the others, Rachel following me and I tighten my lips. "You do not leave my side," I told her and she nodded. I wasn't going to force her to stay inside. She wasn't a child and she was a dominant strong wolf. I could feel it.

In the distant I could see figures appearing and my fingers tightened into fist as my wolf paced inside me.

"I will speak only to him," I ordered.

"This isn't your pack," Malcolm tried to argue. "I'm the only one qualified—"

"Either you do things my way or you mine as well step onto his side," I pointed to General's approaching direction. "I won't repeat myself again."