Love In a Briefcase- Chapter 8

Nirvana by Sam Smith on the side!

Love In a Briefcase- Chapter 8

Edited.

Jade stopped in front of the doors of the meeting room after the five minutes journey from her office and took a minute to regain her composure.

Get back your self- control Jade! She told herself.

But how could she stay calm when she was in such an emotional roller coaster? This man was not good for her. He made her feel things she had not felt for a long time. More precisely, since eight years ago; since Sean. But, it was not quite the same. With Alejandro, the feelings were more powerful, more passionate; more... intense.

What could it be? Lust? Love?

Jade scoffed at the absurd thought. Her? Love? It was a word which was not in her vocabulary anymore.

She had to stay away from him. He gave her all those unwanted feelings; all those tiny sparks and those silly butterflies.

She was a twenty nine year old independent woman; not some love struck teenager. How could she get butterflies?

She released a breath she did not realise she had been holding and was finally going to open the big glass doors when she felt a presence behind her. She turned around to come face to face ( in fact, it was face to chest) with Alejandro who was looking at her in that 'I-want-to-do-sinful-things-to-you' kind of way that only he could express with such intensity in his eyes. She let out a gasp when she realised that they were really close...Too close for her comfort. Could anyone say tingles?

She quickly turned around and gulped.

Here goes her supposedly just regained self-control.

"Please follow me," she blurted out before opening the doors and entering with Alejandro behind her.

"Good morning everyone, please excuse my lateness." She apologised, "Something unexpected came up. I am Miss Harper and here's my associate Mr Martinez."

"No worries, dear."Mr Johnson stood up and offered his hand, "I am Roger Johnson, and this is my attorney, Miss Jenner" Roger Johnson was a handsome man, probably in his forties. He had a well- built figure with broad shoulders and was quite tall. He had dark brown hair with a few strands of grey here and there and ocean blue eyes which held a great level of authority and coldness which could probably turn anything into ice.

Miss Jenner was probably in her late twenties with a figure which pretty much varied from skinny to hourglass, strawberry blond hair, green eyes, perfectly applied make-up and blinding white teeth.

A sarcastic scoff was heard from the other side of the table.

"Yes, surely one of his sluts!" Mrs Alia soon-not-anymore-Johnson sneered, an ugly grimace on her pretty face. The woman appeared to be in her late thirties, though she seemed to be much younger with her face devoid from wrinkles, her perfect make-up, her dark brown hair and her sophisticated beige suit. People could clearly see that she formed part of the upper class of the society.

Jade made a mental note to inform her client of how to talk appropriately during a meeting later on. The constant swearing could turn against them if ever Mrs Johnson cursed in court.

"Well, well, Mrs Johnson," Jade said while walking to her seat near her client, "I don't think that swearing will be necessary." Thankfully, the woman kept her mouth shut, but that did not stop her from glaring at her husband and his lawyer. If looks could kill, the two of them would already be six feet under.

Alejandro took the vacant seat next to hers and she resisted the urge to look at him and cleared her throat before opening her file, "So, we are here because Mrs Alia Johnson stated that Mr Roger Johnson committed adultery by maintaining an extra marital affair with his secretary, Miss Noyes and also, because Mr Johnson, here, refused to give the full custody of their child, Cody Johnson, to Mrs Johnson, am I correct?"

"Yes, you are," the opponent attorney replied, "My client wants full custody of his child and he can assure that he will have a great life. My client also stated that if Mrs Johnson signed the contract to give him full charge of Cody Johnson, he will be grateful and is willing to offer her a great sum of money to attend to her needs."

Mrs Johnson let out a gasp, completely appalled,"I don't need your money, Roger and my son is not for sale. You say that he will have a great life with you, but how could that be possible when he doesn't have parental love, huh? You are never home. You are never there for him when he needs you. You never went to his recitals at school, his football matches or even the parent- teacher meetings at school."

The woman said, angrily, "You will only hire someone to watch over him while you go from bed to bed with God knows whom instead of spending time him. You will neglect him and for all the money in the world, I will never let my son live this kind of life. It is not all about money, Roger. I want the full custody of my son and I want him to live with me where he will get all the love and affection that he needs."

Mr Johnson leaned in and whispered something to his lawyer.

"Mr Johnson is willing to give her two million dollars cash if she signs the contract." Miss Jenner said out loud. Jade noticed Alejandro looking at Mrs Johnson in a way she assumed was to ask her what she decided to do. When the latter shook her head, Alejandro turned to the litigants.

"My client doesn't accept your offer or any other offerings of money. She wants the full custody of her son and if you are not willing to sign the papers, we will bring this case to court." Alejandro said, his tone firm and business-like.

Was it weird that her heart sped up and that she suddenly felt hot?

"Fine, we'll bring it to court but I can assure you that I'll get the charge of Cody, Alia. And, remember that I'm a man who always gets what he wants." Mr Johnson snapped angrily before taking his suit jacket and his briefcase form the table and exiting the room with his attorney in tow.

Jade let out a breath, this case just got more complicated.

"Mrs Johnson, you said that Mr Johnson neglects your child and with his lifestyle, he certainly wouldn't want him as a kind of burden, so the question is: 'Why does he want to fully take care of him now." Alejandro enquired.

"I honestly don't know, Sir." She said with a puzzled expression, "He never showed any kind of interest in Cody's daily life, I really don't understand why he wants the full custody so much."

Jade turned to them,

"Well, that's what we have to find out."

Later during the week, Jade was sat at her office table, feeling lonely as hell.

The office of Alejandro, which was situated across from hers, was finally ready and he had already brought all his things there. Even though she did not want to admit it, she missed him. Sure, they spent a lot of time together, working on the Johnson case but she missed having him there with her all day long.

And there she goes, getting all sappy!

What's wrong with you Jade? Control yourself!

But how could she? It was a real challenge to watch him stroll in his office every day and observing his every move. The man was just too damn sexy for his own good. She may have said that she could not mix business with pleasure and all. But, this man was a sinful specimen. He just taunted her, attracted her.

And how could she take her mind out of the gutter when the guy let the door of his office wide opened for her to see whatever he was doing; for her to see how the thin fabric of his shirt clung to his muscular body. For her to watch how he rolled up his sleeves when he started to type on the computer; for her to watch him repetitively passing his long fingers through his hair in frustration; and wanting nothing more that to comb her own fingers through the soft dark mane.

Waa...What was she thinking?

One week. It only took one week for him to turn her into a sappy and sex deprived woman. What was this man doing to her?