Love In a Briefcase - Chapter 6

Running by Beyonce and Naughty Boy on the side!

Love In a Briefcase- Chapter 6

Edited.  

Jade closed her penthouse door and locked it with a tired sigh. It had been an incredibly long day.

Alejandro and she had worked on the Johnson's case till past eight and it had been extremely difficult.

Not difficult because there was a lot of work to do. No, she was used to that. It had been difficult as she had to restrain herself from jumping Alejandro's bones.

After their amazing kiss, they had started working and Alejandro kept sending cheeky winks her way. He gave her those knowing, lustful and intense glances. It surely was not easy to concentrate.

When they were sat with all the employees for the usual afternoon coffee, the cheeky bastard kept, as he put it, 'accidentally', rubbing his warm hands on her thigh, making the atmosphere way hotter that it was. Fortunately, her pants prevented him from seeing the goose bumps which appeared on her skin but the shiver that came from her spine did not go unnoticed.

She did not know if she would make it home alive. This man was too hot, too tempting, and too attractive to resist; and he knew it.

Jade put her keys in the glass bowl near the front door and put her briefcase and her handbag in the small table. She switched on the lights.

Her penthouse was really large and spacious. The front door led directly to the big modern living room. It was entirely white with a big plasma television, two large deep red couches and an average sized glass table. It also had a modern fireplace as Los Angeles could get pretty Chilly in winter. On the walls were displayed amazing paintings. She had some really expensive originals from famous artists like Picasso and Van Gogh. She was as good with art as a monkey with a paintbrush but she liked the way the artists succeeded to express so many emotions on a single canvas. All the colours mixed together were just breathtaking.

On some shelves in a corner were displayed some plain vases of different sizes and varying between  red, grey, black, and white. Some people may not find the penthouse homey, but she loved it. For her, it was home.

Three white frames which held pictures were also displayed on the shelves.

The first picture was one of her whole family at Amy's wedding. The two lovebirds had decided to do the ceremony in Hawaii and the family had flown out for the occasion. It had been a wonderful ceremony at the beach with a background which was simply of spellbinding beauty.

The second frame held a picture of Amy and her. They were both standing on each side of Poldy and grinning from ear to ear at the camera, showing their missing front teeth. The photo had been taken by Uncle Rob. Jade was eight at that time. It was the beginning of December and it had just started snowing. The girls had sneaked out to play in the snow in spite of the interdiction of their mum. They were in the backyard of the house and had decided to make a snowman. They had taken their time to do it and in the end, it had been great. The snowman, which they had decided to name Poldy, had a big carrot as a nose, a green scarf around its neck and a magician hat. The girls had even taken the time to place small black buttons on its big belly and where its eyes should have been.  It had gorgeous and they had really enjoyed themselves but had been severely scolded by their mother when they had returned home.

The third picture was one of her dad, Maxwell, her mum, Nila, Amy and her. The picture dated of ten years before when she was still nineteen. It was just before she went to university. She still had her fiery red hair at that time.

Jade's hair was naturally red. She used to adore her hair. It was so original and uncommon. But one day, she dyed it to brown.

Eight years ago, Jade had a boyfriend. Yes, she had not always been opposed to relationships. In fact, as hard as it was to imagine, she had been a hopeless romantic. She thought that her life could be like those describe in romance novels and that everybody had her or his "Happy Ever After". At that time, she thought that she would have her prince charming who would rescue her from the bad things in life.

Her knight in shining armor at that time had been Sean Owen and she had loved him with all her heart. The two of them had met at the university of Harvard, where they had both been studying law. He had been every girl's dream. He was smart, polite, cheesy, cheeky and so romantic. He had been the perfect gentleman. They could talk about  everything and nothing. She had often imagined herself growing old by his side and having children together. He had been her everything.

Few months after they had gotten together, it had all just stopped. They did not communicate anymore. They did not even see each other often. He always said that he was too busy.

One month later, after the summer break when Jade had visited her family, Jade had gone to Sean's dormitory room to spend some time together as she wanted to save their relationship. But, what she saw was not what she expected. There, stood Sean, with his dick down some blonde bimbo's throat. In a state of shock, the only thing she could do was close the door silently and return to her dorm, where she cried herself to sleep.

Two days later, Sean had shown up on her doorstep with a bottle of wine and a bunch of flowers. He had been totally oblivious to the fact that she knew everything. Deciding not to beat around the bush, Jade had confronted him and the asshole had had the nerve to lie to her and deny everything.

When she had gotten fed up and had announced that they were over, Sean had smashed the bottle of wine against the door and had thrown the flowers on the floor, the collision making Jade jump back. She had never seen him like that in their entire relationship. He had stalked towards her making her take steps back till her back had made contact with the wall. Jade had flinched back at the evident amount of rage that had filled his eyes. He had had her caged and without hesitation, he had slapped her across the face making her head turn to the side. Jade had let out a cry at the painful stinging sensation. She could not believe that the man she had been desperately in love with could be a monster. That day, he had slapped her, punched her and pushed her. But, helpless, she had just lied there, clutching her stomach and coughing blood, unable to defend herself against the monster.

"You ugly bitch" he had said, "You are repulsive!" He had then taken a fistful of her hair and had banged her head against the hard concrete wall.  "Nobody leaves me until I say so, you  slut!" The pain had simply been unbearable. It had been so painful that she had passed out. After a few minutes when he had seen that she was unresponsive to his kicks, he had punched her one last time in her stomach before simply walking out of the room.

Fortunately, her roommate had entered the room not long after and had found her unconscious.

She had woken up two weeks later with two broken ribs, a slight concussion, a broken leg and some bruises. She had gone to the police to denounce Sean but the bastard had been nowhere to be found. It was as if he had dissipated into thin air.

When she had finally healed, Jade had wanted a change. So, she had dyed her beautiful red hair a dark brown.

She was not Jade, the naive, ignorant and love struck little girl anymore. No, she was Jade, the confident and heartless woman who would not let anyone walk all over her ever again.