Love in a Briefcase- Chapter 1

From Eden by Hozier on the side!

Edited.

Love in a Briefcase- Chapter 1

Her black peep-toe heels clicking against the hard floor, Jade made her way across the lobby. She received curt nods from her employees and Adam, her assistant, immediately scurried to her side.

"Good morning, Miss Harper. Here's your Skinny Peppermint Mocha." He greeted her while handing her the cup of hot Starbucks coffee.

Standing about 6 feet high, Adam Jenkins was pretty attractive. He had the blonde hair and the mesmerizing blue eyes that women swooned over but Jade never saw him as anything but an acquaintance. Sure, they did spend half or more of their day together but they were not particularly close. Their conversations were only business and...Business.

"Good morning to you too, Adam...What is pencilled for today?" Jade sipped her coffee, the delicious liquid filling her mouth and busting her taste buds.

They both walked towards the elevator and Adam pressed the button to the top floor, where Jade's office was found.

His cardboard in hands, Adam informed her,

"So you have two meetings today. One with the opponent lawyers from the Hudson affair at ten in the morning and another one with the legal heir of Mr Bill at two in the afternoon."

Arriving in front of her office, Jade opened the door and put her Dolce bag and her briefcase on the desk and sat on her big leather boss chair.

"Okay, got it. Thank you, Adam. Is it all?"

"Yes, it is."

"Then you may leave" She said while opening the Hudson's file. Once she heard the clicking of the door, signifying that Adam had left, she took her time to admire her office.

It was very big and spacious and had a modern theme to it with black and white hues and tones everywhere. The walls were painted white and the accessories like the couches and the cushions were black. One of her walls was made entirely of glass, letting the light from the sun brighten up the room and allowing her to see the city.

Los Angeles was indeed a beautiful city. It was also a busy one as from the top of the building; she could see the people, who from her point of view were as small as ants, speed walking and others struggling to catch a taxi. Some were in their suits and talking on their phones, certainly going to work while some were in more casual outfits and enjoying life.

Harper & Williams' law firm was a huge building. Jade had just got out of college and decided to create a partnership with a friend, Bill Williams, who she had met at a Charity ball one day. Bill was in fact, working for another law firm at that time but one day, while they were having a conversation; Jade mentioned the idea of creating their own law firm. It had just been a mere suggestion at that time but the more they actually thought about the idea, the more they wanted to materialise it.

So, Bill quit his original job and they both worked together to create the law firm. They both invested millions into the realisation of the project and they were now co-workers, partners and directors of one of the best law firms in America.

Jade read the Hudson file and started to look for any loopholes in the contract.

Ugh...This would be a long morning.

 ___________________________________________________________________________

Led by his personal assistant,  Alejandro made his way to the conference room. Seeing him, women sent suggestive winks in his direction and not so subtly lowered their tops exposing a bit too much cleavage to be accepted on business premises.

Alejandro ignored them and the three of them made their way towards the lift.

As he had never been in the building before, he admired the place. The outer walls were made up of glass giving a perfect view of the outside and the furniture seemed more than expensive.

Not much of a surprise for a billion dollars worth law firm, he thought. They entered the elevator and his bodyguard pressed the button to the tenth floor. Arriving there, they exited the elevator and were then led to the meeting room.

Opening the door, Alejandro entered the room with his black briefcase in hands. It was a large meeting room with a big table in the middle. The decor was entirely white, black and grey giving it a modern theme.

Sat at the end of the long table was his father, Bill Williams in his expensive Armani suit. His silvery hair was perfectly gelled and combed so that they practically stuck to his head like an elegant gentleman. Even though he was in his fifties, the man had hardly any wrinkles. His grey eyes were as cold as ice and it was as if power radiated from him. He could be mistaken for someone in his forties.

Looking up from a stack of paper, Bill removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes before standing up.

"Good morning Alejandro, please take a seat."

"Good morning Bill, how are you?" They always called each other by their first names as the affectionate names were a big no-no. Seeing that they had not known each other for half their lives, they were not so close.

Alejandro shook his father's hand and then took a seat at the big metal table and his assistant and his bodyguard did the same.

"Good, good...A bit tired from time to time but good. Whisky?" Bill asked while walking towards the small table in a corner on which were displayed the drinks.

"No thank you."

"Good then, more for me."Bill chuckled and poured himself a shot of Bourbon. He was not an alcoholic but he liked to take a drink sometimes to release stress.

"Miss Harper should arrive in a few minutes."Bill informed and as if on cue, the meeting room door opened. Alejandro diverted his head from Bill and looked towards it.

He could not believe his eyes. The woman he had slept with and who had given him the best night of his life three months ago was in front of him. He had waited so long to see her again and now she was here. She was looking as good as ever in her black woman suit. Her pants were tight, hugging all her beautiful curves. He let his eyes trail the length of her hour-glass figure before looking at her face.

He watched as her gorgeous baby blue eyes widen in recognition and without thinking, he blurted out,

"Jade?"