"yes way," josh laughs, leading the boy into the kitchen.

while he searches for something to put the flowers in, tyler says, "you surprised me!"

"yes i did, smartie pants. how's that make you feel?" josh responds, finding a ceramic vase beneath the sink. he fills its with water and sets the flowers inside, adding the little packet of flower food.

"so happy!" tyler beams. "wait! but... i locked da door..."

"oh! yes you did, honey, and daddy is so super proud of you. i think you deserve a later bedtime tonight, don't you?"

"yes!" the brunette exclaims, gasping yet again when josh shows him the coloring book. "fawm aminals!!! i wuv you, daddy!"

instead of taking the book, he pushes it aside and gives his daddy a super, duper big hug. like, the biggest hug ever. he definitely must be crushing the man, but when he looks up, josh is just gazing down at him with the biggest smile.

"what!?"

"i have the cutest little ever."

"shush it!" tyler blushes, giving the man one last squeeze before letting go and flipping through the coloring book. "so cute!"

"and i got new markers since your other ones are drying-"

tyler gasps so loud he actually chokes on his own spit. he coughs and sputters for a few seconds, josh patting his back the whole time, but then gasps again once the coughs subside.

"no way daddy! the sixty four pack! oh my gosh i don't know what to do wif all my happiness!!!"

and clearly the boy isn't lying, because he starts crying. he sniffles, wiping his nose as he hugs the markers against his chest and looks up at josh. "w-wuv dem and y-you so much!"

"aww," josh coos, cupping the boy's red cheeks and wiping away stray tears with his thumbs. "i'm glad you love them, and i love you too. is my little boy so happy he doesn't know what to do with himself?"

"mhm!" tyler cries, eyes widening as he now notices the cookie mix. "cookies!"

"shhh, yes, baby, cookies. you have to calm down if you want to help me make them, okay? can you do that?" josh asks gently, one hand cupping tyler's chin while the other strokes his hair.

"mhm," the brunette responds, quieter this time. he leans into the touch, whining when josh pulls away.

"don't you wanna help me make these?" the older asks, holding up the cookie box.

"yes!"

"alright, go set the coloring stuff with thumper and penny. tell them you'll be back soon, alright?"

"alright!"

tyler takes the coloring book and markers and sprints out of the room. josh hears him say, "be wight back! me n' daddy is makin' cookies!" and then he skips back into the kitchen.

"okay, now. you have to listen to my directions very carefully and do everything i say. can you do that, honey?"

"yes!"