T H I R T Y T H R E E

Start from the beginning

"It's okay, just tell me." I say, my tone higher in pitch, clear concern in my voice.

Okay." He abruptly says, letting out a breath.

"So, last month. I met this girl. She's a little older..." He trails off.

My stomach calms, and I let out a mental sigh of relief. He wanted to talk to me about a girl he likes?

"Go on." I edge him, a smile on my face.

"Uh, okay, so. She's older, as in, not in high school older." He chuckles anxiously.

"How old is she?" I ask.

"23." He mutters under his breath.

"Wow. Alright." I chuckle. 

"I met her at a cafe. She approached me and started talking first, and I was really awkward. I've never had a girlfriend before, or really spoke to a girl like that so I didn't know what to do. But she said I was cute and gave me her number."

"Wait, serious?" I blurt out, my eyes wide and the smile on my face appearing bigger.

"Yeah. We've been texting and talking on the phone a lot. And I met her for a date last weekend. I told her about you." He continues, looking down at the counter and nervously trailing his finger along the rim of the glass.

"You told her about me?" I ask surprised.

"Mhm." He hums, nodding his head cutely.

"What did you say?" I chuckle.

"Well. She told she she's interested in working overseas, in America specifically. And you popped in my head, so I told her I have an American friend who could give her advice." He mumbles, pouting his lips.

"Oh, okay." I smile.

"So, that's why I asked you over here. I'm meeting her in about 10 minutes, and I asked if it'd be okay if I brought you along to meet her. She really wants to meet you." He finally looks up at me, a pleading look in his eyes.

"Of course, I'd love to!" I exclaim, smiling widely. 

"This is so cute. So, is she your girlfriend?" I ask, leaning further against the counter intrigued.

"I- I don't know. I don't really know how these things work. We haven't really spoke about it like that. But I like her, and I think she likes me." He smiles bashfully, his cheeks turning pink.

"I think it's cute. And I can't wait to meet her." I smile at him, scrunching my nose.

He returns my smile and looks away shyly, giggling. 

"Shall we go?" I ask, standing from the barstool. He looks at me and nods his head, grabbing his wallet and phone.

**

Tae and I sit at a table in a quaint little coffee shop, waiting for his new 'friend' to walk in. I shake my leg under the table, a little nervous, but excited. I'm really happy for him, he deserves this. He's such a sweet, kind and caring soul, and I really hope she treats him well and makes him happy.

His eyes dart all over the place, constantly turning his head to look over his shoulder at the door. He's fiddling with a napkin, ripping it nervously between his fingers. 

"Hey, it's alright." I whisper, trying to soothe him. He looks up and smiles weakly, letting out a breath.

I've noticed Tae has always been a little awkward, but the way he's acting right now over a girl, it's too cute. He must really like her for him to be this anxious.