28. Ace the Pilot

Axels P.O.V-

Everyone sat still, listening as Freya's question traveled the room. Axel lowered his emerald gaze, focusing on a small crack in the wooden floor.

What now?

"I already told you." Roger said, scratching the back of his head as he replied hesitantly.

Freya shook her head. "Fly to Germany? That's unrealistic."

"I'm serious. I know some people. Just like I knew people to help take y'all from the soldiers."

Axel cut in, "They are American soldiers? The ones who can fly us?"

Roger sighed, "Yes. I met a pilot. We smoked some cigarettes and I showed him a local bar. Plus, he ran into a little trouble and got into a disagreement with another man on the train station and I kind of helped him out. He owes me." He explained.

Freya looked away and muttered something as the three sat in the room. Axel looked out the window, seeing that they were surrounded mainly by woods. The sun was going down and it was getting darker.

"If he belongs to the American Army Air Force, then will they even allow him to help us?" Freya questioned, her soft voice holding a tone of weariness.

Roger shrugged. "I can ask. But he's a good guy. I think he would help us." He added, determination shining in his eyes.

Axel quietly spoke up. "We are still in the middle of a war. We can't just fly to Germany. They could shoot us down."

"That won't happen. This pilot is amazing. He's shot down so many planes," Roger shot back. Axel frowned.

Planes  got shot down all the time. Either from other planes, or from ground cannons, it was very dangerous to be a pilot. Axel frowned even more. And yet his brother was probably in the air right now, flying somewhere. He could've been shot down. The thought made Axel worry for a moment but then he shook the thought away. He had no way of knowing if his brothers were alive but once he hotbed back he would. He wouldn't doubt them. Axel believed in them.

"I don't know. How will you get in touch with this pilot?" Freya broke the silence as both boys turned to her.

"I'll have to run into town and call him. Or send a letter. Probably send a letter. But if we need to hit the road soon, I'll just go fin..." Roger paused, looking at Axel. "Never mind. I'll send a letter."

Axel narrowed his eyes. What was that about? Was Roger uncomfortable leaving him and Freya alone? Axel looked away, figuring that that was the reason. That was nonsense.

"Well, get to writing that. We need to find out if he will take it. Then we can leave sooner." Freya said. "And...since it's getting dark...Where do we sleep?" She asked, looking around.

Roger replied, "I'll have my room and you'll take the guest room."

Axel frowned. "What about me?"

"Couch."

"Oh..okay..."

Roger stood, "Well, I suppose I should go catch dinner before it gets too dark. Axel, keep the shirt." He added, walking over to a table and opening the drawer, pulling out a rifle.

"Thanks." Axel looked at the shirt and then pulled it over his head.

Roger loaded the rifle and then left, closing the door behind him. Axel stared after him, wondering what he was planning to catch. But for some reason, his stomach turned and he found himself not wanting to eat. Axel turned, staring out the window.