Chapter 8.3

John

"Close your eyes and reach inward," I said, watching Kaylee followed my directions. She was so eager, so excited that at first, she couldn't sit still. The energy seemed to radiate off her as we settled near the tree line away from the others.

I started with some basic centering exercises, simple meditations to calm her, and she took to them like a fish to water. Now, with her focused, we could tap into what we needed in order to find her alignment.

Witch children tended to take after their parents, but that wasn't always the case. I was a great example of that. With Kaylee's mother being a spirit witch, there was a strong chance she would follow her's mother's alignment if she hadn't taken after her father's Necromancer power. And that didn't seem to be the case.

Birds called above us as they flew through the jungle canopy.

Taking another deep breath, I focused again on Kaylee. "Fall deeper into your center."

"It's dark," she mumbled.

"Don't worry about the darkness, find the light that pools near the bottom. Move towards it, until it surrounds you."

The air was hot and sticky around us, but a small breeze filtered through the trees from the water.

A hesitant grin slowly formed on Kaylee's face. "It's so pretty. Like being inside a rainbow, all the colors are moving around me."

I smiled, remembering my own amazement when I first sank into the well of my power. "Is there one color that stands out more than the others?"

Shaking her head, Kaylee kept her eyes closed. "No, they just shift from one to another."

Ah, so she was aligned with spirit, like her mother-

"I can bring each color to me, though."

"What?" Staring at her, my mind stumbled.

"Like, I can make it all yellow, or blue. The green is pretty, too."

That...should not have been possible. Like, at all. When you sank down into the well, it was either one color for each of the elements, or it was the rainbow of colors for those aligned with the spirit. She should not have been able to switch between them as she described it to me.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "It doesn't just shift and seem like it's coming to you?"

Kaylee shook her head, opening her eyes to look at me funny. "No, it really did change. Completely."

I hadn't heard of any witch being able to do that. Would it mean that she could manipulate all the elements?

"Is that bad?" She looked scared a moment, then sad, like she'd done something wrong.

"No," I said quickly, forcing a smile. Sitting up a little straighter, I stretched, trying to act less startled. "Why don't we try something? You said that you saw all the colors around you, right?"

Kaylee nodded, drawing her knees up to hug them.

"Well, how about let's start with a first-level spirit spell." I reached back into my memory, to back before I'd found my affinity to Earth. I'd kept trying the low-level spells for all of the elements, hoping something would catch. I'd tried Fire and Air first, as those are what all my family were aligned to, but when those didn't work I'd tried Spirit, as my grandmother had been a spirit witch. Then, finally Earth.

"Okay." She fidgeted, glancing quickly over my shoulder.

"Sit up straight, and close your eyes again. Deep breath in. Long, slow breath out. That's it. Think of yourself as a flower. Opening to the sun."