Chapter 3.4

I stepped out into the lobby alone, glancing around as I headed for the exit. The place was busier, the early afternoon crowd filled the atrium with noise.

There were Witches everywhere now, all dressed to blend in with the crowd, but I could see them. I felt their power, just as I had Cameron's.

The familiar crackle of air magic hum around me. It was my mother, she was looking for me. I knew, from all my wild childhood days, that if I tried to run now the air would solidify, holding me in place.

Scanning the crowd the best I could, I caught sight of her stepping out from behind a pillar, her own eyes searching. She hadn't changed. Her hair was still dyed copper to cover the grey strands she'd fought with as long as I could remember. Her pants suit wasn't one that I recognized, but it looked crisp and new. Clothes had always been one of her obsessions.

I slowed my pace but kept walking, praying with each step that the Coven would concentrate on me and not notice where I was coming from.

Mom caught sight of me, pausing briefly in her stride. For a moment, I thought I actually saw a flash of emotion in her stone features. "John!"

Keeping my pace, I continued towards her. She ran those last steps, throwing her arms around me. I couldn't breathe and it had nothing to do with how tight her hug was.

She pulled back, her hands cradling my face.

"Are you okay? I thought I'd never see you again."

I could hear the worry in her voice, could see it on her face. She seemed smaller somehow, but I doubted I'd grown any.

I nodded, not trusting my voice. This was too much. If she was so worried about me, how could she deprive the Necromancers the same chance of reuniting with their families?

She hugged me again. I kept my eyes open, watching the crowd.

"Come on, let's get you home." She turned, beckoning to one of the five witches that had slowly moved into place around us. I recognized all but one of them, her normal guard: a team made up of each of the elementals and trained to fight together.

"Search the buildings and gardens. I want that Necromancer-"

"He's not here," I said, quickly thinking as her glare refocused on me. "I ditched him outside of the city, but I'd drained myself in the process. I came here on my own, to gain back my strength before heading home."

The lie was laid, but would she believe it? There was enough raw earth magic in this place, either naturally or because of Cameron's doing, to make it seem plausible. But I got the feeling that I didn't exactly look like I'd been held hostage for a few months.

She started to raise a hand, but I took it into one of my own. I forced all the exhaustion and pain that'd been gathering in me to my voice.

"Really, Mom, I just want to go home."

Mom softened, giving me a sad smile. I hadn't seen that much emotion from her since my introduction to the Coven when I was ten.

"Of course," she said. She wrapped an arm around my shoulders and ushered me toward the main exit. "Let's get you home."

Outside, waiting at the curb, was a black town car and a number of matching SUVs. One of my mother's guards, the spirit witch, opened the door of the town car for us. I climbed in, sliding across the leather seat to the far side. Mother sat next to me as another one of the guard, Gareth, took shotgun next to the driver.

"The airport, please. Private terminal," Mom ordered.

The driver nodded, and the car quickly pulled away from the curb.

I fought to keep my gaze from looking out at the parking lot and lost, searching the rows of cars for Hunter and his dad.

"Do you think the Summoner followed you?" Mom asked.

Looking at her sharply. "No, he couldn't follow me. He wouldn't know I was here." Panic rose in my chest. I closed my eyes, forcing myself to take a deep breath. They had me back, as long as I didn't give them anything to find Ez or Hunter, it'd be fine. Everything would be okay.

A hand wrapped around one of my own, and I looked up at my mother.

"You are safe now, John. We won't let anything else happen to you. Not again."

I fought to keep my expression level. She'd misread my fear for Ezra for fear of him. I wouldn't correct her. 

Instead, I focused on the view outside of the window, thinking about what Ezra would do when he found out I was going back.

______________________________________________

A little short and much later than I'd like to post, but my youngest has been sick all week. So, naturally, the rest of us are sick now as well, too. This will be my only update today. I'll work on getting my vlog up tomorrow and the next Lightwalkers chp up by the end of Sunday.