Chapter 18: Talk

Preliminaries. 

They sucked. 

It didn't help that Team 7 barely made it in time either, tired and battered, and Sakura was barely able to stand while Sasuke had a concussion. But Naruto had a face of guilt and regret, a sadness that emitted off the boy like heat from a lamp. 

But Sakura and Sasuke didn't know why. 

Flashback

The last thing Naruto saw was Orochimaru's fangs inserting his neck before screaming in pain and fainting. 

He opened his eyes and found himself in a blizzard, ice clinging to his body like flies to a light, and every time he would break it off, more would form. 

"Naruto," A voice spoke from behind the blonde, making his eyes widen as he whirled around, only to see Shisui with blood coming out of his mouth, a sword poking out of his chest as Itachi stood behind him. "Why?" 

"Shisui-sensei!" Naruto shouted, but was literally frozen to the spot he stood, unable to move. 

"I died alone, you let me die alone." He whispered before Itachi quickly took the sword out of Shisui's chest before decapitating the teen in one motion, causing Naruto to scream in agony at the sight of his master dying. 

"You're a monster," A familiar voice stated, causing Naruto to turn around again as he saw Kakashi pinned to a cross, three different swords pinning him to the wood. "I hate you, you're the reason I died! You lacked the power to save me!" Itachi appeared on top of the cross Kakashi hung from and slit the masked man's throat, causing blood to spill as blood filled the entire area, melting the ice as Naruto collapsed in the red liquid, tears flowing freely from his bright blue eyes. 

"And they won't be the last," A small, voiceless whisper echoed in Naruto's head as his vision showed Itachi standing over Team 8 and Team 9, their bodies leaking blood as they were deathly still, causing Naruto's breathing to quicken as he began hyperventilating. 

Then, it showed Konoha burning, men, women, children all dying as multiple Itachi's killed them all. Naruto looked away, unable to see his village burning. After the screaming stopped, Naruto opened his eyes and saw his hands and body were covered in blood. 

"They will die because of you," He looked up and saw Sakura's usual bright emerald eyes become a dull green as he saw her head unattached from her body. He let out a scream of pure fear as he crawled backward, trying to escape the sight of Sakura's dead eyes staring at him. He then bumped into something and looked up. 

"Because you are too weak!" Itachi shouted as held Sasuke by the throat, squeezing until an audible crack could be heard as Naruto's eyes widened as Sasuke's body collapsed to the ground, dead. 

"AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!" Naruto screamed in agony as he clutched his chest, his breathing quickening as tears streamed from his eyes, the world around his shattering like glass as he appeared in a room filled with red. 

"You lack hatred, you lack everything you need to defeat me!" Itachi stated as he met Naruto's blue eyes, Itachi's Sharingan spinning wildly. "You've grown complacent, daring to let yourself be happy for a change, but you will never be happy. The moment you forget your hatred, forget your anger, not only will you lose everything you love," Itachi moved forward, his face right next to Naruto's ear. 

"I will be the one to take them again, you will be left with nothing due to your ignorance. I told you all those years ago to let your rage, anger, and hatred to fester and grow, yet you ignored me. Let me give you a reminder," He stood up as he grabbed Naruto by the throat and lifted him into the air, his Sharingan shifting into its Mangekyou state. "In order to let yourself be happy, you must kill me," A fist went right through Naruto's chest, causing him to scream in pain. "But at the moment, you are nowhere near my level. Enjoy hell, Naruto."