Chapter 58 Retaliations

Start from the beginning

"Was there even an attack on the fortification?" Vara asked coldly, "or are they walking into a trap?"

"There was, my lady," the man said, "they killed all." He looked at her pleadingly. "I had no choice."

"Why here?" Vara demanded, "why Boncini?"

The man looked down in shame. "They heard the king's daughter holds this estate." He swallowed difficultly, "they spoke of it to each other, what a nice prize she would make."

The soldier next to Lykander gritted his teeth. "Why you..."

Vara held up her hand to him and narrowed her eyes at the kneeling man. "You are a fool to believe Balor will return your family unharmed. They'll maim your son and rape your wife. And they'll laugh in your face as they'll make you watch."

The man gave a nod. "That may be so, my lady, but at least I'll have them back."

Vara looked at the soldier. "Contain him somewhere and have him guarded. We will deal with him later." She turned to Lykander. "Bring my bow and arrows."

The men looked at her startled. "My lady..." the soldier said, "you should not put yourself in danger. Let us handle it. Please remain with the women and children where you will be safe."

Vara narrowed her eyes. "This is my home and I will defend it. We cannot waste time arguing. Do as I say, I assure you I can handle myself quite well."

The soldier bowed. "As you wish, my lady." He pulled the rider to his feet and dragged him to a holding room.

Lykander looked at Vara hesitantly. "My lady, please reconsider. If something were to happen to you..."

Vara placed a hand on his arm. "Right now, we should worry about protecting our home. Bring my bow and arrows. Are there riders available?"

Lykander hesitated. "Not many, my lady. But still, we are surrounded. They cannot get out."

"We will clear a path for them,"Vara said, "if there is even the slightest chance, we need to risk it. Please ask for volunteers. I wouldn't want anyone risking their lives only for my command."

"I will ride out myself, my lady," Lykander stated determined, "just say the word."

Vara shook her head. "Chloe needs you at her side. You have only just started a family."

"This is my home too," he reminded her.

Vara sighed. "If no one else will go, then go. Send out riders to Valais in the South, to Auros, and to Salvire in Tirèze. Tell them to make haste."

Lykander nodded. "It will be done."

...

Cyrus sighed as he made another round across the hospital wing. So many wounded! He wasn't sure how his presence here contributed to anything, but the men seemed to appreciate it. He was flanked by the heir of Verène, young lord Domitius.

"As you see, my prince," Domitius said, "we are in need of medication and physicians."

Cyrus nodded. "I will report it to my father. We will do what we can." In reality, it was going to be difficult. Verène wasn't the only province with wounded soldiers.

"We thank you, prince Cyrus," Domitius spoke, "and we thank you for your visit. Please join me as we inspect the garrison at our coastline. The men will be encouraged hearing from you."

Cyrus nodded. "Lead the way." The garrison would be the last stop of this visit. He looked forward to returning home. It had been a long trip.

Iolaus flanked him silently. He too had been shocked at the number of injured men. And these were only the soldiers. They had not even stopped to see the villagers. Perhaps they should on their way home. The people needed to feel their prince cared.