Chapter 47: Emperor, Empress Dowager, Noble Consort (3)

Start from the beginning

"Ye family's Young Miss, is Mister Qing Yun doing well?" Mo Jing Qi observed Ye Li.

Ye Li smiled faintly and said: "Thank you, your Majesty, for your concern. Uncle has said that grandfather's health is well."

Mo Jing Qi laughed and said: "Don't have to be so nervous. Remembering those days, We could still remember the elegance of Mister Qing Yun and can't help but look forward to it. It's just that We have not seen him for many years."

Ye Li showed a bit of shame and lowered her head. "Since mother died, it has been many years since this maiden has seen grandfather and can't serve grandfather properly. This maiden is really guilty towards the love and care from grandfather.

"Ah? Ye family's Young Miss is marrying Prince Ding, surely old Mister Qing Yun would not miss it?"

"Grandfather is old and could not stand the long journey. Afraid that he can't personally see this maiden... But grandfather has sent Eldest Uncle to the capital to personally oversee everything. This maiden is very happy."

Mo Jing Qi's eyes flashed. "Ah? Mister Hong Yu is already in the capital? Then... Xu family's Eldest Young Master..."

Ye Li calmly smiled and acted like she didn't understand Mo Jing Qi's probing. She said: "Eldest Cousin and several other cousins have already arrived in the capital. Uncle does not have a government position and did not want to be too extravagant."

Mo Jing Qi laughed loudly. He said: "Xu family has never liked fame and instead prefers peace. It is just that Mister Hong Yu can be considered Our enlightened teacher. Entering the capital this time, it is disrespectful to be unable to grandly welcome him."

Ye Li quickly said "wouldn't dare," but she didn't consider it right. Eldest Uncle had only directed a bit of his study because of the late Emperor. Who is this person's enlightened teacher? What's more, if he really wanted to grandly welcome, he would've already gone. She does not believe that Mo Jing Qi didn't already know when her Eldest Uncle would arrive in the capital.

Mo Jing Qi did not intend to continue being entangled in this issue. He looked at Ye Li and said: "Ye family's Young Miss won this year's Hundred Flowers Gathering. Even Princess Rong Hua has praised Ye family's Young Miss in front of the Empress Dowager several times. Don't know if Ye family's Young Miss could broaden Our and the Empress Dowager's horizon?" Basically, he did not give Ye Li an opportunity to refuse. With a wave of his hand, maids and eunuchs brought forth a desk carved with flowers, pens and papers were all sufficient.

"Then this maiden can only try."

Ye Li stood behind the desk, holding a painting brush. In her heart, she cursed at the Emperor sitting here a hundred times. She really could not understand why these ancient emperors enjoyed making others write poetry and paint. After all, not everyone liked to write poetry or essays. Not everyone had the talent. What if you were asked by the emperor and could not write a poem? What would you do?

Ye Li followed the rules and drew an orchid. Conveniently, she wrote a poem about orchids written by her grandfather a few years ago. Her calligraphy couldn't be considered outstanding. Looking at the pair of eyes before her, they showed surprise and then disappointment. Ye Li couldn't care anymore and stood behind the desk, waiting for the Emperor's evaluation.

"Serene Orchid? This is Mister Qing Yun's poem?" Noble Consort Liu frowned.

Ye Li shyly said: "This maiden is not very well-versed in poetry. Hope that the Emperor can forgive."

In the dept of Noble Consort Liu's eyes, a bit of condescension sprouted. She glanced at the painting and said: "Ye family's Young Miss's calligraphy isn't bad."

The Empress Dowager couldn't help but agree with Noble Consort Liu. Ye Li's work at the Hundred Flowers Gathering was still hanging within the Inner Palace. The painting is indeed not extraordinary and just followed the rules. But the poem? The three people were doubtful of the poem from the Hundred Flowers Gathering. That peony poem was definitely not something penned by Ye Li. After all, the Xu family didn't have much, but they were filled with talented people. Carelessly finding someone to write the poem for Ye Li shouldn't be difficult. This wouldn't be a strange matter, "Ye family' Young Miss's calligraphy is very beautiful."

Ye Li clearly felt that the interest of the three people has waned. Although she didn't quite understand why these ancient people thought their four scholarly arts represented the intelligence of a person, this result was not bad for her.

It was not until afternoon that the Empress Dowager had someone escort Ye Li from the gates of the Imperial Palace. During this period, she contributed her calligraphy by helping the Empress Dowager copy a volume of scriptures. Because no one ever thought of asking her to bid farewell to Lady Ye at the Palace of Precious Flowers, Ye Li did not intend to bother the Empress Dowager by having her send someone to escort Ye Li that way. She could only pretend she forgot. Accompanied by the gifts from the Emperor, Empress Dowager, and Consort Liu, Ye Li could not let out a sigh until she sat in the carriage. A sigh filled with impatience and irritation.

"Young Miss, rest first. Your face doesn't look very good." Qing Yu took Ye Li's pulse and whispered.

Qing Luan said helplessly: "This was Young Miss's first time in the Palace. She is a bit nervous. It's a pity that we couldn't go into the Palace of the Empress Dowager and couldn't follow Young Miss."

Qing Yu faintly smiled: "You can only scare yourself if you went. Don't cause more trouble for the Young Miss."

Ye Li leaned against the carriage, closed her eyes and rested. She went through the events inside the Imperial Palace one more time. Inside the Palace, you can only be careful. There are many situations where you have no time to think. The Emperor. The Empress Dowager. Noble Consort Liu.... It seemed that everyone is normal, but there is some kind of hidden and tangled relationship. And there is also Ye Yue...

Not good!

Ye Li suddenly opened her eyes startling Qing Luan and Qing Yu. "Young Miss, what's wrong?"

"The carriage is not going the right way!" Ye Li said. Her words had not completely landed when a loud bang shocked the carriage and an arrow shot inside.