|| C H A P T E R 17 ||

I groggily made my way to the door. Who in the heck could be banging on our door this early? My parents must be working this weekend seeing as they haven't answered the door.

I opened the door, "Brooklyn! Sorry to disturb you but I need a favor!" Mrs. Everheart.

"Um what?" I rubbed my eyes.

She spoke fast and frantically holding a sleeping Cali in her arms, "it's an emergency. I need to leave now!"

"Emergency?" I looked around behind her. The sun hadn't yet come up. That explains my parents.

"Yes please take Cali," tears welled in her eyes.

"Mrs Everheart, what going on?"

She handed me Cali who peacefully snuggled into the crook of my neck, "Grace has been in an accident in Wellspring. I'm leaving now," she started walking away.

Upon the mention of Grace I followed after her, "What? What happened to Grace?"

"Um, Terra called me just said I needed to go down now it's serious!"

I followed Mrs. Everheart inside her house as she frantically rushed round looking for her keys, "I'll accompany you! Here let me drive!" I spot the keys hanging on the hook.

"Oh honey! You don't have to," She pats my shoulder, "I wouldn't want you to get in trouble with your parents."

"It's fine. You can't drive in this state. They will understand," I nod my head, "let's get going."

We went to the garage I buckled Cali in her car seat, and got in the drivers seat. With Mrs. Everheart buckled into the passengers seat we took off.

🤕🤕💔💔😴😴

Hours later we parked in front of Wellspring's hospital.

"I'm hungry," Cali had woken up an hour earlier and was now demanding food.

Mrs. Everheart ignored Cali and hopped out the car running inside. I smiled at the worried mother and turned in my seat to look at Cali, "we'll see what they have in the cafeteria after we check on Grace. I promise."

I took the keys out the engine, got out the car, went to Cali's side and unbuckled her from her car seat. That's when I realized. I never changed. I still had on my pink silky pajamas with my black fluffy slides. Internally groaning we walk inside the hospital with Cali holding onto my hand.

With my free hand I straitened out the pile of hair that lays on top of my head. I wonder which way Mrs. Everheart went?

"Um excuse me, can you tell me which room Grace Everheart is in?" The lady at the desk looked at me up and down.

"Are you Family?"

I mean I have her family. I look down at Cali, "sister. I followed mom here and lost her on the to the room."

The nurse looked down at her computer for a second then back up at me, "Room 414 fourth floor. The elevators are to your left."

"Thank you so much!" Scooping up Cali I rushed towards the elevator before anyone could catch me in my lie.

"Is Gracy alright?" Cali mumbled into my neck with her head down.

"I'm sure Grace is fine," I trailed off. The elevator doors dinged and I walked out still holding Cali. Following the numbers down I stopped in front of 414.

From inside you could hear raised voice. I shook my head and pushed opened the door.

"I'm fine! Nothing is wrong with me!" Grace yelled at her mother? Aunt? I don't even know.