Chapter 32: A Mad Man

Começar do início

"I can't. I can't let you dig yourself into a hole for me." She whispered as she shook her head vigorously. Adele may only be one year younger than me but she's like a fragile porcelain doll. She isn't as confident or brave as I am and that's ironic since she has the loudest mouth. My parents have always been aware of her anti-social personality so they enrolled her in a private Catholic school where the rate of bullying is significantly lower than that of a public school.

But who are they kidding? Kids will be kids no matter where you put them so of course, she's still getting bullied. However, she hides it from us. . .from me. That's why I've made it my duty to protect my sister. She isn't strong. She's never been the person to walk down the street with her head held high. She's more likely to get run over by a truck on the sidewalk. "I'll do anything for you. Any hole that I've got myself into, I'll just shovel my way out. Now tell me who you'd rather deal with this? Me or the police?"

"The police."

"You wound me, Adele."

She snapped her teary gaze towards me, "I'm sorry, but you already have too much to deal with. None of this is a coincidence, Ariel. None of it. So I'm not telling you who did this. . .I'm gonna tell mom and dad and let them deal with it." She said firmly. I know my sister and the fact that she's so adamant means the chances of her actually telling me who hurt her are slim.

I'll just have to find out for myself. "Don't do anything crazy, Ariel. I told you to leave it. The last time you tried to protect me from someone they got hurt, and you got hurt too. I don't want that to happen again so promise me you'll leave it be. I'll just tell mom and dad and they'll handle it." She's lying to me as usual. I hate when people lie to me, it angers me.

"I don't make promises I can't keep, so I can't promise you anything." I didn't wait for her to respond before I sauntered out of the living room. My dad is home, so if it's my blackmailer I know they don't have the balls to break into my house just to hurt my sister. They can threaten me all they want but I know that this person is a scum of the earth, meaning their threats don't mean shit. However, it's one thing to send a pig's heart to my address or stalk me but it's another to hurt the person I love.

Only self-control will prevent me from killing this person.

And I'm running out of that.

Past

The metal door screeched open. She sauntered into the room, a tray of food in her hand and that annoyingly bright smile plastered on her lips. "What are you doing here?" I inquired as I turned my attention back towards the window overlooking the garden.

"In case you're blind, I'm bringing you lunch." She deadpanned as she placed the tray down before me. I put away all my belonging and finally tore my attention away from the window. I can't deny that I'm hungry and I have only a little bit of energy to be sassy today. "I put in a special order today. Macaroni and cheese with bacon." She said. I arched a brow in her direction, scoffing. "And before you say how old am I. I figured you'd like it because it was placed in by your sister."

"Adele!?" She nodded her head, her smile deepening. I sprung up from my chair, unable to hold back the excitement bubbling through my veins. "Is sheis my sister here?!" She didn't need to answer for me to already know that her response would be a flat no. Of course, she isn't here. What was I expecting? "I'm sorry, Ariel. She called from home but since it wasn't calling hours I took it for you."

I nodded my head, finally unable to fight back today. At a certain point in everyone's life, their resolve will eventually break and I've gone way past my breaking point. At this moment, I'm just tired of it all. The only thing preventing me from smashing this woman's face into my tray of food and breaking the hell out of this place is Adele.